Friday, June 02, 2006

Too adorable

The assembly is over. Ten minutes trying to park, seven minutes bringing DD to her class because we missed the bell trying to park, five minutes waiting in line to get into the gym, and another good ten minutes or so waiting for things to start. Two minutes of the most adorable singing, instrument playing, and dancing I have ever seen. One hour of various assorted assembly stuff that had nothing to do with my daughter nor her grade level and was not adorable at all. But it builds character, right? Then another twenty minutes to exit the gym and fight my way out of the parking lot. The kids were absolutely wonderful. They played instruments they made with their very own hands (drums, rain sticks, and some other african-ish type things I didn't recognize). They sang - over one hundred students singing at the same time. And they danced and did actions. I was so proud, not only of my darling talented daughter (ahem), and not just her class. All of the students did a wonderful job. There was no pushing/shoving/fighting in the ranks. They sang very well and we could actually tell what the words were. Beaming smiles on their faces. You could sense that they KNEW they were doing well, and it lifted them up. Did I forget to tell you I am kind of sappy about these things? I managed to tape the singing part with no casualties, although I can't attest to the steadiness of the picture. In other words, I do not promise that you won't get motion sickness while watching. I did a couple of close shots (love that zoom), making sure to get DD and some of her other friends. If it turns out and isn't too unsteady, I will copy that section for the parents of the other kids. Most could not make it, and of the ones that did only two of us had useable cameras. Of course, this "I" that I refer to may not be me myself. I've never played with the camera before, nor the DVD burner. We will assume that I am intelligent enough to figure it out (because we love punishment and thrive on disappointment). But if not, there is always DH (again, that punishment and disappointment thing). If all else fails we will ask DD, because somehow six year olds can figure these things out. Our generation thought we were so smart because we could set the time on our parents' VCR's. Kids these days can practically build them out of tinker toys and Barbie parts. As a reward for doing so well, I think I might take DD to the movies this week-end. I'd like to see "Over the Hedge". Yes, that's right. I am rewarding my daughter with a movie that "I" want to see. Want to make something of it? Huh? HUH? Didn't think so. DH might be working Saturday. If he doesn't want to see it DD and I will go to a Saturday matinee while he is gone. If he does want to see it, maybe we will go Sunday. I want to try the matinee showing and see how it goes. Most evening shows start or end after DD's bedtime. Not that we have a problem with her staying up later once in a while. But the truth is, our lovely child just does not stay awake well after her bedtime and starts to conk out. And since she can't get comfortable enough to doze off, she gets cold and cranky. She wants to be on my lap, and I just can't do that for half a movie - they make them so LONG nowadays. Plus that kid is all legs and elbows and bony butt wrapped up in a ball of fidgit - I feel bruised thinking about it. A matinee might work out better for all of us. No rush after dinner, no staying up late - but I'll still bring a lap blanket in case she gets cold. For all the troubles and issues I have with my mother, I have to say one thing about her. She always brought a blanket at the movies. Sure, she made us smuggle in snack food like mules and lie about our ages to get cheaper tickets, but when it came to certain touches (like having blankets ready) she was right on the ball. No matter how many hours she worked, and how many hours she spent at school and studying after that, if asked to bake 100 cupcakes for the bake sale she gladly did it. Dozens and dozens of cookies for our class parties would magically appear while we were sleeping, packed and ready for school the next day. And don't forget the special treats for those in our class with allergies or dietary restrictions. I think we each had one in our class. Thinking on it now, those special treats were probably the highlight of their day. Not only were they NOT left out, but their snack was SPECIAL and packaged prettily and had their name on it. She couldn't always make it to things like plays, track meets, and assemblies and I remembered that, so make it a point to go to any event humanly possible for DD. These are the things I want to share with my daughter. The GOOD things that I remember, from a pretty tumultuous relationship. I want to perpetuate the 'function' part of our 'dysfunction'. So I will bring blankets to the movies and make treats for her class (remembering the Muslims and allergies and the Buddhist and anybody else needing something special) and dance with her in the rain and wake her up to see a rabbit under the moon and stop even though we are running late to watch the preying mantis crawl up the wall and pick her up from school in the winter with a toboggan to pull her home (there is that blanket again, and a thermos of hot chocolate) and wave like mad in the audience of the assembly and cheer and whistle so she knows I am there and..........you get the picture. I won't share the tirades, the dragging by the hair, the getting hit in the face with rings, the drunken or drugged or otherwise altered episodes, the suicide attempts and certainly not the verbal and emotional abuse. I want to give DD all the GOOD things I can before she goes out in that big bad world and sees for herself that it is not always that way. Besides, some day I might need her to set the time on my micro-DVD player. Just bettering my chances she'll come by every so often, my friend.

No comments: