Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Talk about a rough morning!

Ever had a morning that started off right, and yet it just seemed overly wrong? I got up fine this morning, the routine was working out well for timing. Everything seemed to be going as planned. At least, until I woke DD that is. The first thing she did when she opened her eyes was start demanding things. Then she refused to wear what we had picked out. Then she not only flat out refused to brush her hair and teeth, she started to tear apart her freshly cleaned room for some reason. She had no reason to be grumpy at all. Went to bed on time, had a good sleep, didn't get up too early. Maybe just the excitement of day camp and swimming yesterday, plus she had a friend over last night for a bit. What is it about fun, that sucks the joy out of some people LOL? We finally got a smile after we got to the day camp, which tugs at my heart a bit. I mean, I work so hard to plan things and have things ready for her, and make sure she has what she needs and everything. What do I get for it? Attitude. And a perfect stranger gets the benefit of her wonderful smile. I hate to say it, but I was on the verge of tears all the way home. It seems lately that I try very very hard, only to have everything I do or touch turn to crap. It just isn't good enough for SOMEBODY. Whether it is DH telling me I bought the wrong bread, or DD telling me she hates the dinner I cooked especially for her, or the host of the party bringing out a cake they bought at Costco "just in case nobody likes the one" I made especially for the occasion. Never mind they ASKED me to make and bring it and I certainly had better things to do with that time. I started to get all crazy about all that, and then told myself to STOP. That is ENOUGH. So what if they aren't happy with life, that doesn't mean my day must be ruined. So now, I have done things for everybody else, that means I get to do something for ME. Only I haven't decided what that thing will be yet ROFL. But I already feel better. Why not indulge myself? I mean, I do special things for the BIRD for cripes sake. I deserve a little pampering and indulgence don't I? And once I figure out what it is I will let you know. Maybe I will go to that gourmet market today, and get only things that I like. Like good olives, or maybe more of those fancy tomatoes in a rainbow of colours. Rainbow tomatoes are so cheerful. I am halfway finished the Irish Hiking scarf, or thereabouts. And I love love love it. This sucker will be hard to give away, I tell ya. I love the colourway, I love the yarn, and I love the pattern. No way am I ever making another one, so I'll just have to take a lot of pictures and fondle it while I can. My mind is starting to spark a little, repeating the same two rows over and over again, thank goodness for the crossing row or I might never have gotten this far. As for the poncho/wrap, well, I still love it but progress is SO SLOW. Mind numbingly slow. Being the person that I am, and that instant gratification takes too long, why on earth would I choose a project that has a 24 row repeat, needs to be 60 inches long and by-the-way-make-two? Do you know how hard it is for me to have to knit for like an hour or more and not even complete a single repeat of the pattern? This thing grows like an inch a week I swear. Last night I was working away at it, then calmly asked DH to drive a DPN through my ear. Then I realized the DPN's I had next to me were a little too short to hit any important brain parts. Being too lazy to direct him how to find my longer DPN's I decided to just tell him to never mind (when I try to tell him where to find things his eyes glaze over and he mouth breathes, and I am not sure I could handle it at that point). And let me say he was a little too quick to agree and a bit too willing to shove a sharp pointy object in my ear. I'll have to look into THAT little fact. I think tonight I am going to go ahead and cast on for a pair of geisha socks for my niece, even without her foot measurement. I have miles of ribbing and knitting in the round to go, and a heel to turn before I need to know exactly how many inches long the bottom of her foot is so this is not as risky as it sounds. When I told her (long distance, she is at camp LOL) that I need to measure her big toe I am pretty sure she decided then and there that the rumours about me are indeed true, and I am completely insane. "You are not touching my feet unless you tell me what it is for". How rude! Have I ever steered her wrong before? Have I ever done anything so completely wierd that....well....okay so she is right to be suspicious. But how bad can something be if it involves TOES? Okay. You have a point. I may have to spill what the gift is so she will let me near her feet - tee hee! What are geisha socks? Socks with a big toe knitted in so you can wear them with flip-flops of course. Gee, get with it! When I expressed my desire to make nephew a hat for christmas (I need his head measurement), my sister sounded less than enthused. Isn't he a hat wearer? Don't cool boys wear skull caps these days? Would he rather a scarf and mittens? It seems his school has banned scarves completely, along with any kind of hood on a coat or shirt. They are also not allowed shoe laces until grade one, must bring certified peanut free foods for snacks and lunch, and their goodies are inspected daily to make sure they aren't eating too much junk food. I offered to send her a roll of bubble wrap, helmet, knee and elbow pads, and chest protector too. After all, he might trip in the school yard or something. She gently chided me for over-reacting, since everybody knows they aren't allowed to play in the school yard anymore! Sheesh. What was I thinking. I told her he was getting a hat with skulls on it and he was going to like it. "Not sure about the skull thing". Oh, grow up. The kid is 10, what does she want me to do, knit him a hat covered in BUNNIES? I might as well knit him a sweater with a block on intarsia on the back that says "BEAT ME UP". I think she is a little freaked out about the idea of somebody measuring his head as well. Why are people so afraid of a measuring tape anyway? (Get away from me with that thing. You aren't funny. Nobody likes a smart aleck). My dad was joking that he would like some hand-knit socks for christmas. I was enthused at first, what a good idea! He is so hard to buy for. And hand-knit socks are so comfy, and it would give me a chance to try some guy patterns. Then he told me he had size 12 feet. I suggested that maybe when he selects his next wife, she should be a knitter. SIZE 12 FEET? On size 2 or 3 needles? It would be faster to write a master's thesis on the mating habits of an animal species that hasn't been discovered yet. Now I could crochet him socks in an hour, but they wouldn't be wearable. Sock yarn is too expensive (I have to mail order it) for socks you can't wear. Why is it that the only people willing to let you measure things like feet and heads (and really really want and appreciate hand knitted goodies) have gargantuan proportions? A friend of the family would be thrilled to get a sweater, knitted by moi. She better not hold her breath. I love her dearly, but she is a size 5x and has breasts the size of watermelons. The thought of that much stockinette in the round makes me wish for death, and I am not even knitting yet! Plus she has the longest arms I have ever seen on a woman. Nope, sorry. She might get slippers. I haven't decided yet, as I have to measure her feet. Things are looking up. This is the lunch I made for myself today (sitting and waiting patiently to be eaten as I finish this blog). That is a grilled veggie sandwich on a multigrain ciabatta roll, some "spring vegetable broth" and a local nectarine. The sandwich: zuchini and eggplant, marinated in a vinagrette dressing then grilled. Chilled in the fridge. Spray split roll with butter flavoured spray and sprinkle wth garlic powder. Toast. Spread one half with herbed goat cheese. Add a layer of zuchini, then a layer of eggplant. Add chopped grape tomates (or a slice of a really good garden tomato, which I do not have at the moment) and "olive salad" made by pitting and chopping various mixed olives with a teaspoon of capers. Top with shredded mozarella cheese and broil until cheese is melted. Place halves together. Let cool for a bit on a rack (makes it easier to eat when it solidifies a little but is still very warm). Yum yum yum! The soup: Add a handful of chopped grape tomatoes and a 1 inch wedge of chopped orange or yellow pepper to 1 cup hot water. Add 3/4 to 1 tsp chicken bouillon and up to 1/2 tsp tomato bouillon (watch out, they can be salty!). Microwave for 1 minutes 30 seconds. Puree using a stick blender, then strain into a cup. It sort of tastes like "spring vegetable" flavour cup-a-soup without the odd dehydrated beans and weird bits ;).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

Anonymous said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm