Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Friend or Foe, you tell me!

So. I bring my car in and find out my engine was falling out, and we could have been killed. I bring DD to the doctor to do a check on her arm, my doctor notices I have a headache, and insists on taking my blood pressure. Sky high, even though I am on medication and never had high blood pressure to begin with. Today I went for blood tests, and the lab was running slow. The wait was over an hour, so I was late for my next appointment. When I got there, the glass of the door was all busted, and the foyer was a mess. It seems a distraught patient came in and started trouble when his therapist could not see him, and he went into a destructive rage. They managed to evict him before the police came, but he came back an hour later and threw a brick through the door. If I had been on time, I would have been standing in the foyer when the brick came through. On the way home I picked up my prescriptions, and the pharmacist told me one had switched to a different generic. I noticed it was missing a certain warning sticker so I asked about it. Whoa! They were giving me the wrong medication! And the dosage on the other was increased tenfold (it was only supposed to double). If he wouldn't have said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed, and apparently bad bad things would have happened to me tomorrow morning! So. Do I have an angel looking out for me? Or is there a diabolical force trying to get me, but so far has been unlucky? Perhaps I should start paying good attention to see if I hear a cosmic "d'oh!" after the next near miss. In happier, less diabilical news, I have finished my first baby sweater. In honour of an October due date, it is accompanied by a punkin hat! It's hard to tell, but the buttons are wood and the holes are burned through, an effect that really goes well with the theme. I love how this turned out, and I think a boy or a girl could wear this ensemble. The sweater and the hat might even stretch enough that the baby could wear it again next year when the cold weather begins. This is for my cousin, it is her first child. I just feel bad that I wasn't knitting when her brother and her sister each had their children, like they were left out LOL. Too bad. They jokingly asked when their kids should be expecting sweaters, and I told them I am not a union shop - it's not like retro pay. There will be no "retro knitting". If they are at all lucky, they might get a pair of mitts out of me LOL. Still working on a new poncho for DD. Her instructions are quite clear. Blue sky, green grass, a tree, a puppy and a rabbit and a bird, oh...and a bush. So far the plan is to knit a basic poncho using mostly blue then switching to green near the bottom for grass. Duplicate or maybe sewing on some I-cord for the tree, duplicate stitch for a bush. Then I was thinking maybe pockets and finger puppets (or pocket pets) on strings for the rest of the cast. Or even animals made from felt cutouts and just slightly stuffed to make them plush, which might work better in the pockets without being bulky. My main problem at the moment, is DD chose the softest, fluffiest, and silkiest yarn for the sky area. It is like a piece of dental floss with fluff on it. I have started no less than four times and had to rip it back each time. Note to self: yarn that looks like dental floss with fluff on it is IMPOSSIBLE to crochet. No way can you see where the next stitch is. And knitting? Well. Knitting. It doesn't seem to fit all the way around on a circular needle yet (neck down), and I keep messing up trying to cast onto DPN's. I have twisted when I joined, somehow knit the wrong stitches unto a needle, and a few other things that were so odd I still don't know how to describe them. Talking on the phone to my sister during one such episode, I realized I had ONCE AGAIN made an error and had a hyserical giggling/crying fit. Yarn was flung, my sister was worried, and Ruby looked very concerned for my welfare. I decided it would be best to put it down for now and try again when I am sure my sanity won't be affected. Perhaps it will be a wedding poncho for my daughter. I might want to rethink the finger puppets ;). Yesterday I got the bright idea to clean out the fish filter tube thingy. To do this you have to remove the cover, take the filter thingy apart, wash all the little thingies, then put them back together again. That is a lot of thingies, and a lot of stuff to do when you have no attention span. I lost interest somewhere between the washing and reassembling. Blah, I said to myself. I will finish tomorrow. I had used the old filter as a back up so I wasn't worried about my poor fishy darlings asphyxiating. But I did not count on another factor, which is the reason they advise the use of lids on your fish tanks. Some fish are terminally depressed and prone to suicide. They fling themselves out of the tank in hopes of finding better waters, or perhaps to find valhalla. It seems our algae eater is of this suicidal cult, that upon seeing open sky above the tank fling themselves to coveted freedom (or death). Lying on the carpet, linty, and covered with dried playdough crumbs, being stared at by two fascinated yet horrified cats, he didn't look very dignified. Alive, covered with crap, and embarassed, I am sure he will think twice before trying this stunt again. Then again, he is just a fish, and likely would do it again right now if I took the cover off again. He is just lucky Ruby didn't find him first, because she eats first and asks questions later. More than once she has gobbled up something that looked delicious while on the floor, but not quite so in the tummy, and "regifted" it with a mighty 'Yech!". Sometimes she shakes her head after, and gags a couple of times too. Delightful, especially early in the morning while you are eating your breakfast. Just doing her part to keep your diet in check, how nice of her. The oddest thing about it, is that litter box crunchies are tasty and worth keeping down, but black licorice is not. Sock fuzz fallen from sweaty socks is delicious, but a chunk of banana is to be chewed, swallowed, then ejected with disgust. She will race you to eat a hairball the cat just coughed up, but won't even PRETEND to eat one of her vitamins. Nope, she places it on the floor and barks at it - puts it in its place, for sure. If she gets a whiff of my breath right after brushing, she gets close up to smell the toothpaste then gives a good long retch. But dirty underwear smells so delightful that she rolls and revels in it. If nothing else, she is good comic relief. And speaking of, she is sitting forelorn on the step again, I guess I should let her in before one of the neighbours takes pity and calls the humane society.

No comments: