Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mama mia!

Today is italian day. I have been looking forward to this meal for days. A green salad with fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers and a vinagrette dressing, spaghetti and meatballs, and fresh bread. Sure it's a french baguette, but we won't tell it his accent is wrong, 'kay? I am back on a restricted diet, so I can only have 1/2 cup of the noodles, and none of the bread. But it's the sauce and meatballs I am looking forward to. With freshly grated pedano permesan (which for some reason I prefer to regianno)...man oh man! I know it is nerdy, but I am looking forward to the salad as well. I think I am the only person in the world who dreams of the perfect vinagrette salad. No soggy croutons please. Toast does not belong in my salad bowl! I have spent the day making my own sauce right from fresh tomatoes, and the meatballs are ready to be "balled" and baked before simmering in the sauce to finish. The phone rings. Although I have an appointment next week and my diet has already been restricted, the results of my last blood test are in and my sugars are elevated. All my numbers have gone whacko (blood pressure, blood lipids, sugars, proteins, you name it). Back to testing my sugar upon wakening and before each meal. Sigh. Not allowed to eat unless my sugar level is below five. *sob*. My sugar never goes below five. I am allowed celery sticks and water, until such a time that the number dips appropriately. I am half inclined to dump the sauce down the sink, throw the meat mixture onto the lawn, then collapse into a heap and cry my eyes out. Anybody want to join me?

1 comment:

Beth_in_TX said...

((((Dances))))) Don't throw it in the yard! You'll just have to watch Ruby eat it, and that will be worse.

I wish I could say something that would help, but all I can do is hope it gets better for you soon.

Beth