Monday, October 30, 2006

Bonus Blog Two - Certainly not a doctor...

"….because I have no patience" - badda boom! Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I will be here all week. *taking a bow* I don't like waiting. Don't get me wrong, if there is a legitimate reason or a line but the progression is steady I am fine. I can make polite conversation and smile and look at things around me. I do my best shopping in line at stores, because all the cool stuff is on the ends of the aisle you know. And at eye level. Marketing people see me coming and know they have a good thing going. But that is neither here nor there. I have a philosophy about waiting, when it can't be helped. I figure I can stand there and be miserable and hate every minute of it and make it a waste of life. OR. I can smile and chat and read the ads and look at stuff on the ends of aisles and smile at children even though I am a stranger, and in general be pleasant. That is not to say that I will wait pleasantly forever, or that I tolerate delays that I feel to be unnecessary. I have reached across and hit the "hang up" button on many a store phone when the cashier ignored me for the conversation with a friend. Having said that, it does take a relatively long time for me to reach that point. I have less tolerance for people that are late for commitments. I make an effort to be early or on time, and if somebody says they will be here at 7:30, they damn well better be here at 7:30! Not 7:00, not 8:00, anywhere in the window of 7:15-7:30. When I am working with somebody I ask what time they start and adjust my schedule to match. If I can manage to be on time in a strange city with shaky transportation arrangements, they can get there on time too. This week I have been left waiting every single day by the same employee, and at least one other time per day from assorted other people. It is starting to wear thin. Last night we went to see the Blue Man Group. I have always wanted to see them but DH had no interest. I happened to see a brochure. They were here. I was here. There were four of us interested in going. It was like divine intervention. After waiting almost an hour for a certain party to arrive at dinner (which put us behind), the show had already started by the time we got there. We only missed a few minutes, but then we had to wait until a portion of the show where it wouldn't be as intrusive to trot us to our FRONT AND CENTER seats (well, not exactly front because I am not into wearing my entertainment, but close enough, and not exactly center but in the center section). If you have never seen the show, take it from me, do not be late. If you have seen it, you know why and I am not going to spoil it for the others. Just thank goodness there was another couple later than we were - and that is all I am going to say about that. The show itself was WONDERFUL. Definitely worth the money and time and trouble getting there. We missed the beginning so there were some things we didn't know about. I would like to go again some time and BE ON TIME. It made me realize that a) I really do hate when people are late and have lame excuses, even though at the time I was one of them, and b) My relationship with people that are late really suffers. This person's fate is in my hands at this moment, and because he made me wait I am tempted to let the chopping blocks fall where they may. Before you get uppity at that comment, the guy sucks as an employee. Tardiness is just icing on the cupcake. Another example. My oldest sister and her family are routinely late. Not by a bit, by a LOT. We are talking once giving her a start time FOUR HOURS before the party was actually beginning and they were STILL 1/2 hour late. Plus they all had wet hair, rumpled clothes, and looked like they wrapped the present in the car. Want to give Dances a stroke? Be really really really late getting somewhere and look rushed. YOU HAD EXTRA TIME - we are talking four and a half hours extra here people. It has really ruined some holidays for us, because we have a tight visitation schedule, and more than once DH, DD and I have had to leave to go visit his family before my family hasn't even started the meal. All because we were waiting hours for somebody to show up. This morning a colleague (who is also visiting) made arrangements with the employee we shall call "Mr. I will be right there". He wanted to be picked up early and didn't want to wait for pokey old me to eat breakfast and get checked out. Fine by me, he isn't great company anyhow ;). Guess who was still standing in the parking lot waiting when I left? He walked in about an hour later. He was not happy and did not finish what he came for before his flight left. Perhaps people should take more of my advice, is all I have to say. In other news, I think I have decided that I don't SEE enough. DH really isn't into performance art pieces, which is a pity because I think he WOULD have enjoyed the show. More interactive than we uptight Canadians are normally comfortable with to be sure, but very fun (and to the Blue Man that decided I was not participating enough and covered me with a mountain of paper, I just want you to know that I was not being stodgy, just Canadian and next time I will be more aware of suspiciously empty seats in a packed theater). There are so many shows I would love to see, but reluctant to drag DH with me. He doesn't make me go to Iron Maiden concerts either so it is fair. But I think I need to find a "theater" buddy. There have been so many things I wanted to see. STOMP. The Vagina Monologues. Suessical. Riverdance. Life is too short, I am going to start going. Certainly I can use more "art" in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the extra blog entries. We did miss you last week and we are glad you are back. I know what you mean about people being late--intolerable. I am trying to teach myself to knit--now I just need to finish a project instead of starting a new one.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Okay, I got here late (no pun intended LOL) and missed the voting but wanted to say thankyou for the bonus blogs. Like many others I checked daily for an update and left the computer sad and broken (me, not the computer!) then checked today to find not one, not two but THREE entries! Yay! Welcome home, Dances

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! We were concerned that you were knit-jacked in Chicago...
I refuse to be a doormat to chronically- late people. I personally feel it is a power play on their part.