Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Just call me grandma

For those who are wondering (and you know you are wondering!), yes, Princess the potato bug is still alive and well and living the good life in her container. She gets treated like royalty, what with food and regular mistings of her paper towel. As far as we can tell, a potato bug couldn't ask for more out of life. Unless she has babies, in which case that would be way too creepy for me and she is out on her ear ;). But there have been other events in our household. I am now the proud grandmother of........a clutch of snail eggs! Now, this snail has been alone in the tank for oh, about a year. And this species is not supposed to be hermaphroditic. But there they are. And we thought at first they would all be infertile, but in just a couple of days you can see which ones are developing, as they have a dark dot in the middle and are getting bigger. Before anybody panics, we are not talking thousands of snails here, like those little ones that ride in on aquarium plants and take over the tank, bathtub, pool, and storm drain. These are big snails, mystery or apple snails. And it looks like part of the clutch may have fallen into the water and became goldfish snacks, because a big part of it is missing and there are only a few dozen left clinging to the glass. DD is absolutely thrilled, and checks on them constanly. So many life lessons recently. I will keep you all posted, because even though I am sure you all have an actual life, I also like to believe that you are crazy nerds like me and find stuff like this fascinating. The Canadian Thanksgiving was this weekend. We went out to dinner with DH's family on Sunday, then had a turkey dinner with all the trimmings at my parents place (and all our extended family all in the same room, it is a wonder we all survived LOL) on Monday. DD had a wonderful time playing with cousins. They played football outside until it got too dark and cold, then moved to the basement for dancing and karaoke. Add a nice dinner and lots of dessert and we couldn't have planned a better evening for her. My cousin's kids were there as well, and DD adores them (even though they are a bit older) and they are always so good to her, and it made it even better. I made a bit of headway with the sock and with the wrap, but not enough to take a picture of. Who wants to see ANOTHER inch of whatever ROFL. As for the sock, I don't know if I like the pattern I am using. It is a flap heel, with short row shaping. But it isn't rounded enough for me and there are a few issues in the pattern I have had to gloss over. Nothing serious, but at the same time I don't think a simple sock pattern should need so much adjusting. For example, when I tried to make the heel flap as written, the same stitches would be slipped each pass. So the stitches you are knitting or purling pile up, but the stitches you are slipping do not, because you aren't adding any length, if that makes sense. Have you ever been sewing and got the bobbin thread snagged in the feed dogs so that your fabric was all bunched and the thread all loopy and ugly? Yeah. That is exactly how it looked. I had to rip back and try again, this time abandoning the slip stitches for simply purling back on the wrong side rows. I also noticed that in the short row shaping, even though I double counted to make sure, they tell me to transfer a certain number of stitches onto that needle then they go ahead and give instructions for a whole other stitch count. I used an online sock calculator, so I will have to go looking and see if maybe there are corrections. Have you ever had a craft project to do, and normally you would be all over it, but for some reason this time you are dragging your feet? I have three blocks of foam to carve into heads. One to replace the last witch head that had been sewn and stuffed (the foam works SO much better), one to replace a hack job we did for frankenstein, and one to replace the wolf man that crumbled to pieces last year. Paper mache made with plaster of paris is not so great in damp conditions. Too bad, because he was a work of art and will be hard to recreate. I think we managed to salvage the wig, so that will help. It has to be this week or next, because after that I am either not home or too busy. Just can't get motivated to do it. I have to get some potatoes and cut them into blocks for my models. Carving INTO something to make negative spaces (like eyes) and positive spaces (noses and cheeks and brows) is not natural to me and takes me a bit to figure out what to do....like how deep to cut and all. I won't be making stone carvings any time soon ROFL. Now the painting part? THAT I can do. Can't believe Halloween is almost here. I am SO not ready. I don't even want to talk about christmas. I better get my arse knitting.

No comments: