Thursday, November 09, 2006

Avoidance Issues

I have severe avoidance issues. The poncho-turned-wrap is still not done. In fact, it is suspiciously the same size as the last time I touched it. Considering I haven't done any work on it, why does that surprise me? I don't know. It just does. My mother's lace scarf is HALF done. I have cast off the first half and cast on the second half, finished the first few rows and maybe two repeats of the pattern. Only 15 more to go, and several rows of stockinette which we will not mention because I insist it "goes fast" even though it never does. Then grafting in the middle and blocking. I have not added even a single row to either the second sock I started before going to Chicago nor the toe up sock I started at around the same time. All it is right now is round after round of knit stitch, perfectly mindless knitting for in front of the TV or waiting in lines. And yet, have I done any? No. But I HAVE been spending a lot of time knitting. Knitting what, you say? Knitting THIS. It is a scarf. A fisherman's scarf. For DH's Uncle, who is not a fisherman, but if I ever met a man that NEEDS a fisherman's scarf, it is he. I have been pouring over my new books, all four treasuries of knitting patterns by Barbara Walker. Basically, each book is divided into sections by type of knitting. Cables, Lace, Yarn Over, that sort of thing. There are pages upon pages of cables and ribbing and textures and lace and just about anything you could ever think of. Two of the books are charted, the other two have written directions. This is the first time I have ever followed a chart like this, and boy is it complicated! The part that complicates my brain, is that every other row you work the REVERSE of what is charted. So if it shows a knit stitch, it is a knit stitch on the RIGHT side, so you have to do a purl stitch for the row you are on. If it shows a purl stitch, you have to knit and so on. I have no idea what would happen if I tried to do a chart with a cable where there are crossing rows. My brain short ciruited a bit right now when I even wrote it. Anyway, I was looking for a cable for the ends that would suit him. And he is a cable sort of guy. But for some reason, nothing was jumping out at me. Then I saw some texture pages, and I realized my error. He needed a textured fisherman's scarf, not a cabled one. And I have to say, for the yarn I chose, it turned out to be the best decision I have made in my knitting history. I looks absolutely gorgeous, and will suit him to the proverbial "T". I have been so inspired and loving this scarf that I can't seem to put it down. After the ribbing in the middle I will repeat the end from the other side, which will be slightly different because it will be upside down. But since it is a repeating pattern with no real "up" or "down" the difference will be slight and not worth working the piece in halves. The yarn is a natural wool, a neutral colour with flecks of a rich brown (I have no idea why the sides look different colours in the pics, they are the same colour. I really need a new camera!). I chose wool specifically for it's warmth, even in wet horrible weather. The pattern is dense and worked in smaller needles than normal to keep it wind proof. The ends are wide (WIDE. Like 10 inches) to provide warmth and windproofing when tucked into his coat, and I might continue the ribbing long enough that he can wrap the scarf around completely once. He has been having such a problem with the cold, these last few years. Severe arthritis from an injury, and it pervades his entire body. He is small in stature to begin with, and his nature (most of the time) makes one just ache to bring him comfort. A warm hug is about the best I can do, and this is the best hug I can make for him, with love in every stitch. Which is why I started knitting in the first place. Never mind I have at least an illusion piece (which is getting smaller and smaller by the minute, started off as a thought for a pillow and then a scarf, and now maybe a hat), funky socks with toes (niece), long leg warmers (DD), and a sweater for myself to knit before Christmas. Oh, and like three minutes ago I decided to make my dad a cashmere scarf if I can find the yarn in time. Doomed, I tell ya. DOOMED.

No comments: