Monday, December 11, 2006

Dances Interrupted

I was supposed to go into the office today. I got up early. I did my hair and make-up. I was packed and ready to go before DD even got up. We were all ready EARLY. I am sure I don't have to emphasize how much of a miracle that is, but I will anyway ;). Only to find out they weren't ready for me to come. Oh, they still WANTED me to come in. But no way is this chick sitting and installing software for hours or crawling around under desks to connect equipment. Sorry, get all that done before I come in. They aren't all that impressed, but too bad. It is the first day doing the work of my boss (who quit very suddenly and left me hanging, in case you were wondering) and frankly, that is pressure enough without having to deal with training today. So far three backups have failed, one server is offline and we don't know why, and I don't have access to about half the folders I need to take care of all that. In other words, pretty much same old same old ROFL. We got a little shopping done over the week-end. Enough to convince me that many people are obnoxious idiots and complete pigs. What kind of people go through stores, ripping items off shelves and throwing them on the floor, stepping on stuff, and in general making it seem like they are fighting for the last vial of medicine of a sick child - only this is not a third world country and it is not medicine, it's a fricken BOARD game for cripes sake? Dh brought MIL out to finish off her shopping, and they had to sift through clothes on the floor to look for sizes. Shelves were bare in every department and you could tell where the sales had been because those areas looked like a tornado hit. They gave up, it was just too crazy and messy. Last night my sister asked me what we got for my parents. I told her, such and such plus a scarf each. "Is that all? That is like half what we spend". Well, first of all, my dad's scarf alone is 30 dollars worth of yarn. Not to mention the literal hours and hours of work to make the darned things. My mother's scarf has nearly sucked the soul right out of me, that has got to count for SOMETHING. And it goes without mention (well, not really because I am mentioning it now) that she and her DH make about double what Dh and I do. They have been married almost ten years longer than we have, and are at a different stage in their lives. It's not that I am miserly, but where do we draw the line? Presents are not love. Dollars spent on crap once per year do not translate into how much we care for a person. Yes, my gifts technically costed less, but they were chosen with care and planning, specifically for the two of them keeping in mind their taste, preferences, and so on. I am tired of "getting in on" a large purchase for my parents, who don't want nor need most of these items. I firmly believe that when it comes to pricey items that will be displayed, it is best to let people choose their own. I don't want to select a patio set for them. They have their own taste and requirements. I didn't want to get them "something for the house". I wanted to give mom something FOR HER and dad something FOR HIM. Can't manage it every year, but when I can the heartfelt individualized gift always wins in my book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree...there are years when I will go in with my brother for my parents, but I do like to see them open their gifts and see how they react to what we have picked out.

Have a great Holiday!

Lisa

red dirt mummy said...

I agree with you too. We buy what we think/hope people will love within our price limit. I just got totally 'done' by my SIL and ended up spending about $10 more on my nephews present than I had planned. Sure, it was only $10 but the gift she has organised wasn't what I'd planned to give him and it just blew out my gift budget so now I have to scrimp in other areas. Gee, now I sound like a scrooge but you know what I mean.