Friday, December 08, 2006

Sleighbells ring, Jack frost, and all that

We have snow! Just a smattering left from an all out snow storm yesterday, but still....snow. I like snow. I like the cold in general. But lately we have this biting wind that I can do without. I have the yarn to make myself an ear flap hat, and really need it now, but with the christmas knitting not done I just can't do it. DD played outside for a full hour after school yesterday, and had a grand old time. A neighbour girl came over and together they used every tupperware container we had to build sculptures (okay, plastic containers. What my father called "Suckerware". Because I am too cheap to buy actual tupperware). Most of them made it back into the house, but there is a suspicious number of margarine tubs and dollar store snap-lid containers missing. What will the neighbours think! Guess I'll worry about that in the spring ;). Of course, living where I do, the snow will melt far before then. We live in a constant freeze-thaw cycle here. If you don't like the weather, wait a minute. It'll change. It isn't unusual to send the kids to school in long underwear and bundled to the ears, and pick them up coatless and dragging all that stuff through the puddles in their wake. With that cold wind though, things aren't thawing yet. Just blowing around and repiling in different places. If it weren't for the work I had to do, I would have been outside with her! Ruby likes the snow too. We end up spending a lot of time outside in the winter, that is as long as the wind isn't too bad for me. DD and Ruby could care less, but it cuts right through me like a knife anymore. DD doesn't like snow down her boots, and Ruby refuses to walk or move if she gets snow between her toes. I guess we all have our limits LOLOLOL. *Interjection - this freeze thaw cycle is the precise reason I would never kill DH and bury him in the yard. He would heave to the surface far too soon for my liking and I would be found out. And fear of getting caught is about as good a reason not to commit a crime as any. Just so you know. Interjection over* Tonight DD and I will be going to PetSmart. I need veggie wafers and shrimp powder for the fish, and there is nothing wrong with schmoozing with pets while we are there. We like to go and woo-woo at other people's dogs. We look at all the fish, and visit the birds. Check on the rodents. Peek at the adoptable cats there. Visit with any pets anybody has brought in. We won't bring Ruby this time. She really doesn't like it there for some reason, maybe it's because she knows they clip nails and bathe dogs there. She likes a bath at HOME, not by strangers. Afterwards I will probably watch the shows I missed when I fell asleep last night (I fell asleep before Survivor even started, and stayed asleep through CSI and ER, until DH came home and woke me up - to tell me to go to bed ROFL). In my defense, I had it set to come on a different channel at 9pm instead of 8pm, so DD was already in bed asleep before I dozed off. And this morning, I slept through two alarms and apparently DH woke me twice - I don't remember any of it. It is taking me forever to type things today, because I am using a new keyboard and not used to it yet. I cannot get the DiNovo to work after the Windows wipe on my machine, and truthfully I wasn't fond of it. The keyboard itself had a nice "feel", but the detached number pad never really worked the way it was supposed to and the mouse was big and heavy - like using a brick. Plus, most of the characters were rubbed off the keys, making it hard to use. The feel of the keys on this new keyboard is taking some getting used to. It is cheap. Very cheap. But I wanted USB keyboard and mouse, optical but didn't care if it was cordless. I've done cordless. Too cheap to go to laser, so why not USB and never have to worry about batteries or charging, right? The keys almost seem like they bump or rub each other, which makes them harder to press sometimes. I got used to the softer touch, and frankly, this one is making my hands tired. The mouse? Well, my last mouse was optical as well, but this one is very sensitive. The incredibly faint wood grain pattern on my desk keeps hanging up the sensor and causing the pointer to act erratically. Right now I have it on a piece of paper, but realistically that will never last. Sometimes I have one inch square of space to use that mouse, and I refuse to start using or carrying a mousepad again. Okay, we all know me. And we all know the slightest irritation and things like keyboards go flying out the window, if not back to where they were purchased. So why the delay? Seeing as I have been programming and swearing for several hours now? Well. It's just. So. GREEN. Tell me this keyboard and mouse don't just scream my name?? But the fact remains, it makes my hands tired and they hurt and I can't work like that. So I will give it ONE MORE DAY. And if I continue to get hung up on the keys, away it goes. Poop. There was another keyboard on sale that DH wanted me to get. It was a good price, of course only for that day and now the sale is over. And he keeps saying "That keyboard was better. It was cordless. It was optical. The keys were nicer". And I keep replying "But was it GREEN?!?! I think NOT". He so does not get it. Don't worry. Some day I will live somplace above the frost line ;).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe you just have to break the keyboard in...my new one was the same way until I got it all broke in...now the computer is going on the fritz...LOL...never ending story...

Have a great week!