Monday, December 04, 2006

Whoooooooo Whooooooo

I decided to make the gifts for DD's "Owls". Owls are the leaders in a Brownie group. The Brown Owl is the main leader, then usually a Tawny Owl. Then after that, it seems like it is an owl free for all LOL. I remember having a brown owl, tawny owl, and snowy owl but it turns out they can call themselves whatever they want. In DD's group there is a Brown Owl, Tawny Owl, Sunshine Owl, Camping Owl, and Music Owl. Music Owl was a problem. I could have sworn she was Rainbow Owl, and that was reflected in her gift. Turns out I am completely insane and Elvis talks to me (Can't make a foil hat - we are out of foil). DD made the executive decision that I did not have to make a new owl, but rather could just add to the one I had. Good thing, because I was out of owl coloured yarn. DH thought I was a little odd and really had no idea what I was doing (and really, I don't think he even still knows the point of these) but does agree that these are about the most adorable owls ever. Top: Tawny Owl, Music Owl. Bottom: Sunshine Owl, Camping Owl, Brown Owl. I adapted a pattern I found for Owl Fridgies on the internet. I won't post a link because there are several that are worded exactly the same and I'm not sure who the original writer is. And frankly, I couldn't follow them for the life of me. If it wasn't for the picture on the page it would have been hopeless. Plus I changed them quite a bit, in my opinion. For those that crochet: Body - 1. Chain four. Join with a slip stitch to form a ring. 2. Chain four (beggining triple), then triple crochet 19 times in the ring. 3. Slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain four. First horn - 1. Chain four (beginning triple). 2. Triple crochet twice space. 3. Chain four, then slip stitch into the base of the chain. You now have half a horn and a bump at the top. 4. Triple crochet twice in the same place as row 2. 5. Chain four, and slip stitch in the same place as rows 2 and 4 (final triple). Second horn - 1. Slip stitch in next triple crochet of body. 2. Chain 4 (beginning triple). 3. Triple crochet twice in the same space. 4. Chain four, then slip stitch into the base of the chain. You how have half a horn and a bump at the top. 5. Triple crochet twice in the same place as row 3. 6. Chain four, and slip stitch in the same place as rows 3 and 5 (final triple). Body edging and tail - 1. Single crochet six times around body. 2. Slip stitch in next stitch, then chain four (beginning triple). 3. Triple crochet in the same space, then chain 1. 4. Triple crochet twice in the next stitch, then chain 1. 5. Triple crochet twice in the next stitch, then chain 1. 6. Triple crochet in the next stitch. Chain four and slip stitch into the same space. 7. Single crochet 6 times around the rest of the body. 8. Slip stitch to the last stitch (where first horn starts). 9. Cut yarn and draw through stitch to finish off. Coloured decorations - 1. Attach second colour and single crochet in each tail stitch. 2. Cut yarn and draw through stitch to finish off. 3. Weave in all ends. 4. Cut six pieces of second colour, and attach to horns to make ear fluffs. 5. Using white yarn, stitch on eyes. Use black to make the pupil. 6. Using orange yarn, stitch on the beak, and stitch toes to hold on a small stick ( I used pieces of bamboo skewer that I coloured with markers). Attach a pin or glue a magnet to the back. I have made some progress on my Dad's scarf and I have to tell you, I love this Soy Wool Stripes stuff. I have hit a few knots but it hasn't been a big deal to cut them out and rejoin, this stuff joins very nicely. It is a little splitty and fuzzy but the lovely sheen and shine and the transition of the colours makes it all worthwhile. It is soft and squishy and lofty, and I love it. This multi-directional scarf is really easy and goes pretty fast. The only thing I might do if I make it again is exchange the SSK that joins the short rows to the previous knitted area for K2TOG. I think my Knit two togethers look neater than my slip slip knits. Or maybe for some texture I might try S1K1PSSO (slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over). The only annoying thing here is that with the short rows, there is a lot of turning your work. I realize I am supposed to turn the SCARF and not myself, but for some reason rapid turning of projects that aren't very wide makes me dizzy. I made a doll scarf once that was TWO STITCHES with very chunky yarn. I practically needed dramamine. I won't bore you with another picture until it is done, but I have made some progress on my mother's scarf, only to find a NEW annoyance with it. We are in the middle of a cold snap, and between the bitter wind and jacked up heat in every building my skin gets very dry. This yarn is snaggy. Incredibly snaggy. It could snag on a baby's bottom, I am talking. It keeps snagging and pulling on the dry skin of my fingers (I don't bite my nails but I am a finger biter/picker). Annoying and aggravating. I almost chucked it in again, when somebody walked by and nearly threw herself prone at my feet because they liked the scarf so much. Sigh. LOL! I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. Special announcement I will be travelling for the next two days. I will be back quite late on Wednesday. These two days will be very intense (we are talking more intense than when I got my MCSE) so I'm not sure if I will get a chance to blog. And when I do get a chance on Thursday, I might not have much exciting to say, other than to whine about airports and hotels and how sucky the training was ROFL. So be forewarned. And that is all I can blog today, 'cause I gotta go pack!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another gorgeous scarf. I love the owls too. Safe travels and good luck with the training. Sheila

Anonymous said...

I had to come on over to your blog after I read your Knitty Gritty advice to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. What kind of person would caution the Harlot about saying 'arse' on TV? (I confess to an embarrassing level of amusement over the word arse.)

I've been sitting here entirely too long reading your archives and when I got to the one that has the closeup of your pug--the one where you said, "And once I open an eye? Tongue right up the nose."--well, I'm afraid I blew a snot rocket. (I figure that since I've already said arse twice, talking about snot is no big deal.)

In summary, I love your writting. I love your blog. See you again tomorrow (or rather when you get home from your trip, but you know what I mean). --Valerie, aka Stands With a Trowel--

Anonymous said...

Read your comment on the Harlot's blog and you made me giggle. Thought I'd pop on over and say "Hey." Then I read your blog and you made me giggle some more.

...

Hey!