Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rescue me.

Yesterday I was so busy with work and stuff I barely had time to breathe, let alone blog. First of all, my car froze shut. Not from freezing rain, but rather the melted frozen rain that got into the seal of the door. So there I was, trying to leverage the door open with all my weight while hanging on to that little handle with my fingertips. Then I thought I would use the "rocking" principle and push on the door alternately with pulling with all the might I have in those fingertips. No go. Perhaps a sharp blow can break that ice seal? So I kicked the door along the bottom. Lightly. Nope. Then a little harder. Then I basically kicked the crap out of it. In mid kick I realized I was kicking the THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR DOOR and got the giggles. Not the good kind either. The kind that suggest it would be best to step back. Or maybe even run away from me. So DD and I walked to school. Not necessarily a bad thing, but poor DD was ripped from her bed and dumped into the snow and she was not so happy about that. And it was COLD. That wind was something else. The walk itself was kind of nice (I like walking in the snow) but the circumstances were not. DD refused to wear her hat and gloves, and MAN does that push my buttons. I know when it is cold enough to need a hat, I don't want to hear ONE WORD that you are cold! We made it less than half a block before she agreed to put them on. I just wish we could avoid that fight in the first place. Why can't she wear them then take them off and stash them in her bag once she is out of sight like normal kids? Sheesh. I had an appointment that I could NOT walk to. So there I was, again, dangling by my fingertips, practically in tears from frustration, and the door would not budge. A nieghbour sauntered over. "I assume you have tried ALL the doors" he said, then regrouped when he saw the look on my face. "Oh. My. Yes, I suppose you have". So now there were two of us, hanging by the door handle by our fingertips, grunting and swearing. No way was I dumping hot water in there so it could freeze up again even worse! A hair dryer did NOTHING but fog the window. I was getting desperate. Finally, what worked? I hung off the door while he wedged a pair of BBQ tongs in the crack of the opening and we pried that sucker open. The BBQ tongs are toast but we didn't scratch the paint and the door got open. Thanks neighbour! My appointment was awful. Then I had to get my licence sticker renewed. I called beforehand to make sure I could renew at a kiosk rather than the office if I needed an emissions test, and I was told as long as I had the test that would work fine. Guess what? Wasted trip. I was able to get two thank you cards and gifts while at the mall though. Then back over to the license bureau to get the sticker. Why does it bother me that the person did not even glance at my license, insurance, or emission test results? Wasn't that the whole purpose of having to go there, instead of renewing at a kiosk? Fricken fracken succotash! Then back home to meet with the pet sitter, to pay her for feeding the animals while we were gone. A long time ago I learned that it was best not to leave the feeding and care of the pets at home to family members. Ruby goes to somebody's house when we go on vacation, and I have a pet sitter come to feed and water the cats, the bird, and look after the fish. I feel more secure knowing that it is somebody's JOB to do this, and not a favour. Because sometimes favours, well, they don't always work out. For 15 dollars a day I can relax and know that the cats are being fed, the paper is being brought in, and all is well. And this time was no exception. When we sent Ruby to stay with my sister, I sent her measured amounts of food and stuff for her. They ran out after a few days, which tells me my sister is not so much into accurate measurement. I had an emergency stash of frozen food, and she had to go get that. And the pet sitter noticed something was moved, and contacted us right away. It was confirmation that we made a good choice. I got her a datebook with golden lab puppies on the front and high-end dog sayings and quotes inside. I always get her a thank you gift, which embarasses her every time. But man, you don't know how happy it makes me to know the animals are being well taken care of while we are not here. For my sister, I got a beanie baby black poodle puppy that will make her cry. She misses her doggie so bad. Sigh. I wish she would just bite the bullet and get one now instead of waiting. We all feel so sad for her. We found out YESTERDAY that DD has no school today. I don't know if she was excited or what, but she was out of bed every hour last night. Cover me up. I need water (which is right on her headboard, but I guess it was closer to come get ME from the other room than try to reach her hand up there). I have to go to the bathroom. I am done going to the bathroom. Cover me up. I think I heard a noise. The cat looked in at me. AARGH! I was ready to kill her. So this morning, she gets to sleep in and woke up with a headache. I WONDER WHY! I am shipping her off for the afternoon though, she is too high maintenance to keep home while I work. So that brings us to now. My email has been pinging like wildfire, so I guess I should go take care of that. OR. Or, you can come and get me and we can play hookey from life for a day and do fun things like get pedicures and shop and eat donut holes and drink coffee at the shop, then go look at and touch kitchen wares at one of those high end stores, and go to Chapters so I can look for a new knitting book, and maybe stop at one of those gourmet shops so I can look for Champagne vinegar. Okay? I'll be on the porch waiting.

3 comments:

anettemartinrn@yahoo said...

sigh, i cant come play today. besides, it is toooooo cooooold there.

anette

Anonymous said...

I am going stir-crazy here in the wilds of Red Dirt Central. If I lived even a teensy bit closer I would so be there in a heartbeat. Instead I will plan more craft and baking activities for bored small offspring on school holidays and attempt to stop him from half-killing his sister, who is currently sporting a very attractive and puffy upper lip due to much 'loving' and a not so gentle shove from her devoted big brother. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'm also so giggly after I read your blog.... But it's nice to know that Canada's motor vehicles bureau isn't any better than what we have here across the border.. I wonder if there is any place in the world that doesn't make drivers/vehicle licensing a nightmare for their citizens!!!