Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What's your vertex?

It has finally come to this. We have reached the point where our child is smarter than we are. Oh, I knew the day would come. But not when she was SEVEN! I thought I had a few more years at least. I have never been good with math and geometry. Numbers and space? Not good. We can add history and geography to that list as well. Dates are, after all numbers and it doesn't get any more spatial than geography. When it came to homework though, I figured I was good to go until DD had to do fractions. Because I don't do fractions. Inverting and all that. Ask me why I hate trying to halve recipes. What is half of an 1/8 of a cup? And if you say 1/16 I will pinch you because how much is THAT?!?!?! My darling husband finds it absolutely hilarious when I measure out something, weigh it, then take half the weight instead of trying to figure out the fractions. At least I try, right? DD brought home a single sheet of homework last night. It had two groups of shapes, and you were supposed to say what they had in common and why they were alike (now, isn't that the same question anyway??). Next you had to suggest which group a few other shapes would go into. Sound simple enough? Well for the first group I think it was. There were cylanders and spheres and cones in different sizes. Our decision was they all had rounded edges and could roll. The next group had 2 cylanders of different types, a rectangle, that thing that looks sort of like a rectangle but has three long sides and a triangle at the ends (which my snotty daughter informed me was a "triangular prism" while rolling her eyes at me), and a prism set on it's point. I have absolutely no idea why they are alike. I showed DH the sheet, because he claims to be a geometry miracle. I should have known we were sunk when he kept referring to the sphere as "that ball thing" and insisted they were alike because there were two groups of three. Except for the two ball things and that other thing that had four (?!?). Yeah. That's a pattern alright. Much smarter than our discovery that they all had rounded edges. Sometimes they learn context in the lesson that we don't know at home, and many times it has helped us puzzle these things out. DD was adamant that there was no lesson and she had no idea what to do with the paper. You know, we don't do her homework for her. But a few times a week she brings home these "home connection" sheets where we are all supposed to work on them together as a family. And can I just say, I kind of resent them. I never had any idea what we are supposed to be doing with them. Or if they are supposed to be handed back at all. What kind of credit is she getting for this, if others are supposed to be directly involved? Is it right to mark a child on the willingness or ability of her family to participate in an exercise? Am I saying all this to mask the fact that I was bested by a grade 2 homework sheet? Sigh. We also got a nice reprimand from the school regarding DD not having gym shoes and being forced to sit out of gym. As I read the note, DD slowly made her way upstairs. By the time I was done, she was hiding in her closet. I opened the door, and there she sat, covered by her princess costume and holding about 25 stuffed animals. Perhaps she figured I would never murdalize a princess protecting babies, who knows. What I DO know, is that this child has a pair of gym shoes that have been in her locker ready and waiting to be worn. This sort of thing has happened before. Not handing in homework that was in her bag. Not bringing home a library book. She claims to forget, or says she ran out of time, that sort of thing. We had a good long talk. And while I didn't murdalize her, she knows what the punishment will be if she misses gym class again for no good reason. In knitting news, I have decided to make myself a few things. First, a scarf of silk. This stuff is wonderously soft, and I love the sheen. This is a twisted stitch chart from one of the Barbara Walker treasuries, simply repeated three times across. I am also starting some fair aisle mittens, which were a two day swatching episode. I think I am on track now. The last is a tank top for myself that I need to swatch, no picture or anything yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... but you can do that knitting stuff that makes my head spin.....

You have now started down the slippery slope of stupidity that won't reverse itself until she turns 22 at least!

red dirt mummy said...

Geez, and I thought I was struggling with the "basic kindergarten math" book that Santa gave #1. If I'm having trouble following that when he's 4 what the heck am I going to do when he's 7?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

1/8 of a cup is 2 tablespoons so half of that is 1 tablespoon.

I don't look forward to this. When I went to school, school work was for the student, not the parents, and they didn't even bother sending home homework until the 3rd grade.

I'm not a big fan of homework in general - I certainly don't like bringing home work with me after putting in a full day.