Thursday, February 08, 2007

Is this hat too short?

I finished that hat for my brother. I decided to follow the pattern proper as far as continuing the ribbing all the way and knitting it in the round (rather than flat). I did use larger needles because I only have one set of short circs and that is size 10 (the pattern calls for like a size 8) so I am sure it fits more loosely than intended. But since knitting is stretchy and ribbing is even more stretchy, it isn't TOO loose. For some reason I could not for the life of me remember how long I made the other hat before starting the decreases. I think I might have mentioned it here, however I was too lazy to look for a post that mentioned it ROFL. I ended it at about 11-12 centimeters, but I am thinking I should have gone to 15 cm before decreasing. Oh well. I don't think it was intended to be WARM, rather, to be worn as a fashion statement. Of some kind. You'll have to ask my brother exactly what statement he is trying to make LOL!

I think it might be just a touch too short. I don't want to start over (I don't have any more orange yarn left), and I don't want to rip back or take it apart. If you all say it is too short, I can add a row or two more of single crochet to the edge, how is that? So I leave it in your capable hands. Look at the picture (nice pippi longstocking braids, eh?), and comment your vote. Fine as is, or add some SC. Hey, just like a reality show! Only don't try to text your vote because my cell phone isn't on ;).

The sister of the birthday child that got a hat is now requesting her own hat. She likes the style, only she wants a blue one. Why do people always ask for colours that I don't already have in my "stash"? Never mind that my stash is not a RESPECTABLE stash of good stuff waiting to be used, but rather leftover crappola from mostly crochet projects from years before. And some donated materials. The two girls' mother donated a large box of navy blue and gray acrylic (those live five pound balls you see on sale? Yeah, those). She wanted to crochet a blanket but never managed to finish it. I would love to make a blanket for her in exchange, but navy blue and gray????? I don't know her well enough to establish a colour palatte. I'll keep working on that though. My sister wants a hat that will not ruin her hairstyle. My dad wants a hat to match the scarf I gave him for christmas. My cousin wants a black hat with white stripes like the one I made for my brother. What am I, a hat factory?

Actually, it's nice to have people WANT my knitting for once. They are even getting excited about it. "You can MAKE THAT?". Yes, I can. No, it is not cheaper nor easier to make it. But when you make it you can choose exactly which colour, decide the length, how far the ribbing goes, what KIND of ribbing, and so on. How often can we have something made special for us, exactly as we want? Not often indeed. Now I just need somebody to knit for ME while I am knitting those hats for THEM.

My scarf is still only like four inches long. I have not touched it. Such a bad girl. And no progress on the ribbing for the pirate mitten either. I did draw up my own pattern for a new pair of mittens and have the yarn, just haven't started yet. Plus the black silk tank that is waiting to be made. Perhaps I will finish in time for spring.
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE! You only have until tomorrow because if I don't give him his hat soon he is going to drive me mental asking for it. And as we all know, that is quite a short drive.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote to leave as is. I don't think I would put crochet on a boy or mans item. Just my thought on the subject.
Would like to see the pattern on the hat.

gardengrl (from the cf) said...

I'd add more. He can always roll it up if it is too long, but then again, he might have a big head. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'd give it to him & see how it fits. Let him decide...lol... he'll just keep it & then your problem is solved!

red dirt mummy said...

Leave it as it is. If it's too short he'll complain about it and you can the wonderful sister who knitted him a hat and then changed it to suit him LOL.

JazmynsMom said...

Personally, I'd want it just a touch longer.

As for your sister, go ahead and make an identical hat, then sew a couple buttons inside the hat, one above each ear. Make yarn braids to emulate the ones you're sporting in the pic, and attach these to the buttons. You can have several different colored sets (blonde braids, curly blue braids, etc.) and tell her not to worry about messing up her real hair because your hat comes with all sorts of "bonus" un-messed-up hair. Of course, she will look at you funny, but this is merely a hardship all great artists must endure...

JenTX said...

Naw, the hat isn't too short....your ears are just too low! LOLOL

J/K I think the hat looks fine. Especially if brother isn't picky about wanting it for warmth. I can't imagine how adding crochet to the bottom would look (in my mind, it comes out ruffley and that wouldn't be good!)

Love jasmynsmom idea about the braids! LOL

Lisa said...

Its in the 60's right now in Orlando and my feet are cold! Put me down for a pair of slippers! If it was my hat, I would want my ears covered for warmth.

Anonymous said...

My vote is to give it to him with the option of adding more and let him decide. I am still amazed at your skills. I can only do single and double crochet. And it has to be a rectangle. So basically, scarves and baby blankets.

Naughty Kitty from KT