Friday, February 02, 2007

My coffee is cold

I drink roughly one cup of coffee per day, in the morning. I say roughly because sometimes I have another, but most of the time I don't even drink that one whole cup. Now, I don't mind sipping on cold coffee as a rule. I don't drink fast, so I figure that is my lot in life. Warm cold drinks and cold hot drinks. But on freezing cold mornings like this one (want to know how cold it is? I am wearing a long sleeved shirt and SOCKS) a nice, hot cup of coffee would be nice. Some years back my mother bought me one of those mug warmers. One of those ones that plug in and look like a mini hot plate. And it does work. It works very well. TOO well, as it boils the coffee sitting in the cup. I didn't want cold coffee, but having it hotter than when I made it wasn't working either. Then one year for christmas she gave us all these marble trivets that go in the microwave. They hold the heat for a long time to keep your food warm. And it came with a bonus small one for coffee cups. MUCH better. It keeps your coffee drinkable warm without boiling it. The only bad part is you might have to heat it more than once, if you are a slow drinker like I am. A lesser evil to zapping the coffee itself, because in that case it is too hot, then almost instantly becomes cold again. Now. Why am I not using this miracle marble device? Because I can't fricken FIND it. The husband and child claim not to touch it (although I find it equally often in the basement and in the toy room so they both apparently DO touch it), and really I can't see what on earth they want with it. DD is too small to use the microwave (she can't even reach it) and I don't think DH would be able to heat it without asking eleventy-seven questions first. He can't heat precooked bacon without asking eleventy-seven questions first. Plus I don't believe he really understands what it is for. This past week-end I rescued it again from an area of the house where I rarely go and placed it on my desk. Although I hadn't used it, I know it was there because I had my pen cup on it. Today, when I would LIKE to use it, the marble coaster is gone. As is the pen cup, my pencil holder, and my desk scissors. I won't even bother looking for the tape, because we all know that has been snitched as well (what is it about tape and children?) and I am too fragile to handle that knowledge at the moment. I am going to go lie down with a cold cloth on my head. I can save myself a trip to the bathroom - I'll just borrow the washcloth DD snitched to use as a barbie blanket and dip it into my coffee cup.

1 comment:

latibug said...

Too funny...and I don't know what it is about kids and tape...my youngest can take a roll of tape and empty it in about a minute...but nothing it taped together nor is there any extra anywhere...weird...