Thursday, March 15, 2007

From that to this

We had a run of nice springy weather. The breeze was nice, everything was defrosting, and green things were starting to poke out here and there. The tulips and daffodils and crocus are starting to peep out, and the birds are already starting to scavenge for nest materials. I can see they have been stealing raffia from the welcome mat again. And dh wonders why I need a new one every spring! By may, there will be nothing left but a few strings. And I know this. And I buy a new raffia one again every year. And I leave it out all winter so it can weather, and is easier to pull apart. Me and the birds have a system ;).

I took a walk through the yard yesterday, to see what I could see. It was a perilous walk, considering a whole winter's worth of hidden dog poop has now defrosted and decorates the back lawn from side to side and end to end. Ew. Anyway. Imagine my surprise to find an alien in the garden. Or, maybe not an alien. Perhaps a deflated weather balloon? No. Not that. Perhaps the remnants of some stunt pulled by jokers? You have your crop circles, I have my alien corpses in the garden. Oh wait, maybe I sort of recognize this! I do believe it is the hollowed out hulk of a ZUCHINI! That is right! There were none out there when we got the first snow fall. I know because I cut those suckers off at the ground before they could lob yet another child-sized squash my way. Apparently the snow cover we had this year made a nice little habitat for the plant to re-root and produce, before finally succombing to the weather. That odd thing next to it is the head of a sunflower that fell from the weight of the snow. The birds have been eating from those sunflowers all winter long, which is the only reason I didn't cut them down and clean them up. I knew it was going to be a hard winter, and we were not disappointed.

Now last night, we had rain. And it got colder and colder and colder. When I let Ruby out for her romp just before bed, we were met with a wall of blowing snow and rain. Instantly I was soaked and frozen down the front. Ruby gave me that "if you think I am going out there, you are crazy" look and did an immediate turn about. I put out a puppy pad for her, and she immediately squatted and put it to good use LOL. She knows what those are from my parent's dog. They used to live in a high rise condo, with nowhere to walk dogs. She was trained to a puppy pad in a shallow tray (like a boot mat), because she made too much mess with kitty litter. When we would go to visit, Ruby just knew what that pad was for and never had an accident while we were there.

This morning we awoke to a blanket of white, and it is back to winter coat weather. And it is ALL MY FAULT. You see, I happened to mutter out loud, upon seeing the bulbs start to peep through the mulch, that "Spring must really be here". I am an idiot. When will I learn that the forces around us hang on to every word I say, and delight in kicking me in the butt whenever possible? I mention spring, and take a deep breath, and smile at the birds, and this is what happens. Diabolical.

1 comment:

DD/Sandy said...

"is morning we awoke to a blanket of white, and it is back to winter coat weather. And it is ALL MY FAULT. You see, I happened to mutter out loud, upon seeing the bulbs start to peep through the mulch, that "Spring must really be here". I am an idiot. When will I learn that the forces around us hang on to every word I say, and delight in kicking me in the butt whenever possible? I mention spring, and take a deep breath, and smile at the birds, and this is what happens. Diabolical."


HAHAHAH...too funny...Enjoyed the read.