Thursday, March 22, 2007

She hated it.

When we go somewhere and take Ruby, she gets very excited to go in the car. If DH is driving she sits on my lap nice and pretty, eyes shining and a big pug smile. Sometimes she pants (she does this when she is very happy, excited, upset, or just feels like panting LOL) which drives DH batty because the car fills up with dog breath, but that is his personal hangup. When she is in the car and I am driving, she is not so well behaved. She climbs all over me. She falls into gaps and gets stuck places. She wiggles down by the pedals then can't get out. It is not a good thing. I tried a contraption that attaches to the harness then goes around a seatbelt. If I put her in the passenger seat, it still gives her enough leeway to climb into my lap and get behind my legs - which in case you forgot is not a good thing. If I put her in the back, she can't do that BUT there is no way to shorten it and it gives just enough slack so she can hurl herself off the seat to dangle over the edge by her harness. She won't strangle, but if you put pressure on a pug's chest they cannot breathe, so dangling is not a good thing. I could deny it no longer, I needed to get a pet carrier for her. I have a small one that fits one cat, but no way could Ruby go in there. Not even enough room for her to turn around. I didn't want anything with holes or a grid, for fear that she catches a toe and breaks it when she scratches at the walls. And she is going to scratch at the walls, my friend. I found a canvas carrier that folds flat and pops up when you want to use it. There are two side bars that lock in place when it is in the up position. I bought it based on the recommended weight and breeds listed on the box. I got it open and realized this thing is he-yuge. It does not fit in the back seat if DD is back there. I have to put the passenger seat back as far as it can go and teeter the carrier on it. It isn't unstable and the tilt is not major, but I would rather if it could sit flat, but there you go. I got a furry bed thingy to go in there too, for comfort. Getting her into the thing was kind of like trying to put a hot dog in a pop bottle during an earthquake. We finally got her in, but it was very hard to zip up the door as she was trying to get back OUT. After five minutes of combined effort, we got her in. I think if DD was not helping it might have taken...well two minutes ROFL. We were on our way. She whined. She cried. She screamed. She dug at every side and every corner. She managed to fling spit through the screen at me. She did not like it AT ALL. She panted like she was going to have a heart attack the entire ride. After getting to our desitination she was fine. She had a good time. But like all visits after about an hour she came and gave me "the look". It is the look that kids and dogs and husbands have perfected over time, the look that says "Is it time to stop visiting and go home now?". How long it takes to get "the look" usually depends on where we are visiting and how dressed up I made them get. I usually give DH that same look before we even make it to MIL's house, but that is a whole other matter entirely. When it was time to leave, you could tell she wanted to go but didn't want to sit in the carrier again. We got her in there. And she cried and scratched and panted the whole way home. For the rest of the evening she was glued to me. After all, she was separated from me (a whole five inches away, ghastly!) for that entire ride. She is always close to me, but I am talking have-a-body-part-on-me-at-all-times glued to me. I think I will take the carrier in the house, and train her to go in on command for a treat. Then start training for spending time in there without scratching or crying. No, we don't intend to use it inside. But if she needs to be in there I don't want to worry that she will scratch her way out. Canvas is only so strong. DD asked me if they come in other sizes. I said yes, thinking she wanted one for her stuffed animals LOL. Nope. She wants a larger one. For herself. She said it looked like fun. What a nutball.

2 comments:

DD/Sandy said...

Oh poor Ruby...sounds so traumatic...

Hope she gets use to it..

Enjoyed your post..

dd/s

Anonymous said...

Poor little Ruby... how can you torture her like that!!! shame shame...
I don't think she'll go in that contraption for a treat.. but then maybe she will...