Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Talk about motivation!

I am sure I have mentioned before, that my darling doctor has requested that I spend one hour each day walking. And seeing as the weather has not been nice and it is not safe for a limper such as myself to walk on snow and ice, that means treadmill. And I suppose I have mentioned that at approximately the half hour mark, I start dragging a leg and hoping for death. I may have worded that differently but the fact remains. Try as I might to pass that 30 minute mark, I just couldn't seem to do it. Between mental boredom, physical strain, and the ability to only concentrate on "Lift leg, drop leg, roll foot, lift leg, drop let, roll foot" for so many minutes in a row before forgetting and almost falling off, 30 minutes was my max. Then I had a lightbulb moment. If I had something to take my mind off what I was doing (while still being brainless enough to that I could do my mental leg maneuvers), maybe I could at least make that half hour not so sucky. We have the tv and VCR/DVD combo down there, all I needed was something to watch. During a stroll through Best Buy on the way to get some cables, I saw the first season collection of America's Next Top Model. I had never seen the first season. And it was more than I would normally just drop on something just for me, but I figured it was worth it if it made my daily walks tolerable. Well, not only did it work, but I made FORTY FIVE MINUTES last night. That is one whole episode without special features, thanks to no commercials. And I think I technically could have gone longer, but there is a heat vent right above the treadmill, and every time it came on I felt like a banana chip in a Ron Popeil food dehydrator. I think my brain shrunk a few sizes. As for the walking, it was a nice distraction. And if you want motivation for getting fit, stand there bulging out of your exercise shorts watching skinny little things moan about their thighs (shah, right) while prancing around in bikinis during a photo shoot. Seeing a girl that is almost six feet tall almost cry because she weighs 125 is a little nausea enducing, until you realize that HEY. Guess what? No matter what we look like, we all have the same hang ups. And by the way, if I never see a group of women get bikini waxes at the same time again that would be fine, thanks. I have been craving pasta salad, but really, I am not supposed to have it. So I healthied it up a bit just to get past that craving. I used about 1/4 the amount of whole wheat bow ties (okay. They were leftover from dinner last night) and upped the veggies. So instead of mostly pasta with a few veggies, it was mostly veggies with some pasta. Red and yellow peppers, celery, thinly sliced carrot, and three lonely kalamata olives chopped very fine. I threw in a cup of chickpeas that had been marinated in lemon juice, onion and garlic. The sauce was 2 tbsp of light Helmans with 2 tbsp greek style yogurt, some lemon juice, alpine herbs (mint, marjoram, basil, parsley, sage, and more but I can't translate the lable ROFL), a touch of sea salt and a few grinds of mixed peppercorns. Tossed that altogether. I figured one cup was a serving, so I have enough for a couple more days. It made a nice lunch (along with a small kiwi fruit and a cup of low sodium tomato broth. What I really wanted was tomato juice but what I had went bad before I could even use it! Grrrr). For dinner we are having chicken and rice, but what I am really excited about is the SALAD. I bought a small frisee lettuce (I think it is more closely related to endive, but that is what the sign said so who am I to argue?) to mix with some romaine and baby spinach, and toss with some champagne vinegar and olive oil. I splurged on some on-the-vine tomatoes too, and just cannot wait. Such a geek LOL. You should see the happy dance I do for stir fry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum.
Your way with (food) words and your description of how you did/will prepare them makes me drool.

Last week was a very successful atkins one for me; modified though to allow between ten to fiften grams of GOOD carbs but no sugar or processed food. The weekend though was a disaster. Yesterday was agony.
Today? The sugar withdrawels are still there but I haven't succumbed. Tomorrow I will try your scrumptious sounding salad creation. Thanks!

I read while I ride my bicycle. I also have the tv on which makes the time go faster. Instead of watching the clock I instead go for mileage. Five miles on the odometer looks MUCH better than forty five minutes on the clock.
I feel so much more righteous by distance than time....LOL

Grinch_Gut said...

HI Dances...Grinch_Gut from the KT...just wanted to tell you I am proud of you for making it 45 min. on the treadmill.....You are doing better then me...I am still driving to the mail box instead of walking.....I gotta get motivated....Stacy