Monday, March 19, 2007

Universe 1 : Dances 0

I have errands to run today. I need to get cat food at the vet's office and make Ruby's appointment for shots and checkup while I am there. My car needs an oil change. I have something to bring back to costco and need to make some changes to my membership as well. I am supposed to be bringing some equipment into our local office, and I have an expense report to hand in. I left things off our regular grocery list because they are on sale elsewhere, on the way of my errands so I figured I would just get those things today.
See that? Every time I make plans to leave the house, WHAMMO. Freezing rain covered with sleet covered with snow. And now blowing snow. It is supposed to turn to rain by 11:00 am and the snow is to disappear, but it is 10:30 now and it doesn't look promising, does it?

We went to visit "the aunts" on Sunday. My grandmother had three sisters come down from Winnepeg and visit for a week. They are all in their late seventies and older, but to see them together they are like young girls. Giggling and laughing and teasing. The YOUNGEST of the bunch got a little rowdy, drinking beer and gossiping and causing a ruckus. She is only 76, and you know how those young ones are ROFLMAO. It was a little bittersweet. A usual member of the group, one of the "middle" sisters, passed away not long ago. And when she was around, there was no dispute that she brought out the best in her sisters. She was always so cheerful, constantly laughing and smiling. Nothing was ever bad, the glass was not only full but rather overflowing. She developed a brain tumour secondary to lung cancer, of which she was a surviver and everybody thought she had beat. There was a choice I did not agree with (but really, what business was it of mine?) that she not receive treatment. She did not make that choice herself but legally her hands were tied, and there is badness between many of us and the person that made this decision for her, but that is neither here nor there. It did not cloud the visit, which is good because it may be a long time (or even never) before these sisters get together again. No time to waste on unpleasantness!

DD and DH kind of sat transfixed, in awe of a room full of women that looked the same and talked the same and laughed the same. Each of us, grandaughters or cousins or great nieces had our own similarities to the crowd. I do have those high cheekbones, even if they are buried. And that laugh? If DH was blindfolded he would never have picked mine out of the lineup LOL. We all have the same hands, and quite a few of us have the same nose (not me though LOL). I also do not have the eyes. Mine are straight from my Dad's side of the family, although still not blue and let me tell you I feel I have been CHEATED. Ahem.

DD was not shy at ALL. She sat on laps and got hugged and squeezed and kissed, had her stick straight hair played with and plaited into her cousins curly thick hair so they could compare it LOL. Dh said except for the dark hair and the darker eyes (she also got her eyes from HER daddy LOL) she fit right in. The cheekbones. The NOSE! She certainly has my grandmother's nose, and my grandmother has the same nose as her sisters. There was no way DD could get lost in that crowd, or accused of being an interloper.

That is something else about "the aunts". They are always thrilled to see the children. They beam like your kids are the most beautiful things they have ever seen, and gush all over them, lots of hugging and kissing and squeezing, and of course, the money. From as far back as I can remember, "the aunts" have always given kids money. I remember the folded two dollar bills from some of them, and one aunt ALWAYS gave us five dollars LOL. And even still, this aunt gave DD double the amount the others did. Some things never change. DD thanked them politely and gave me the money to hold. More than one remarked that DD was so polite! I said, yeah, well, wait a minute. She'll do something to change your mind ROFL. But really, she was a little doll the whole time we were there. In fact, she cried when it was time to leave, which made "the aunts" cry. It didn't take much to make my grandmother cry, she always does when it is time for people to leave. But DD got them ALL going. That was quite a sight.

DH was very quiet after the visit, and after we got DD settled I asked what was wrong. He said he couldn't get over how nice my aunts were (great aunts, actually). He got his own share of hugs and kisses and squeezes LOL. They asked him what he did, and were genuinely interested in what he said. They asked after his mother, and gave condolences for his dad. There was so much laughing and talking and eating and sharing (they bullied him into splitting a beer with them. You see, it is unlady-like to drink an entire beer. So you split them with somebody else. Never mind you share 10 beers, it's the fact they were split that counts LOL). He has little experience with a matriarchal family. I think it was good for him. And maybe a little traumatizing ;).

So today they left, flew off into the sun-rise. I hope they missed the snow and aren't sitting on the tarmack somewhere. And I wish them all well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the smack in the face from the weather gods!!!
At least you weren't planning to hang laundry out to dry!
I vote for small laundry baskets and one for every member in the house..
Also, get someone [not dh because we all know how long it takes them to get simple tasks done] to build you a box & move the dryer on to it which will raise it up higher...check out some of the 'posh' new machines & you'll see. Heck if no one can build this for you -- just get some concrete building blocks [all same size] to do the raising for you.. Pay some high school kids to do the lifting of the dryer for you..
I missed reading you while I was gone on vacation...

DD/Sandy said...

Brrrrrrrrrr.....

and that is why I live in southern california....

burrrrrrrr.....

last week we were in the 90's....

today we are cold...it is 68...

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I love the story of your visit with "the aunts". Don't you love when you get home from a big family 'love-fest' event? That kind of thing doesn't happen often but when it does it's so special and the memory and good feeling lasts for ages and make you feel all warm and smooshy inside. I have my own "aunts" and I only get to see them about every 10 years but it's wonderful.

ROCHADMR said...

How fortunate you are to have your Granmother's sisters with you.
How VERY special that your daughter was able to visit and soak up all the "Aunti-ness." She's old enough to remember this visit for a very long time. I hope photos were taken and will be shared with the wimmen-folk of your family.
Good on you, Dances. Glad your DH had a dose of what's good for him, too. Maybe more positive things will come of this girly day.