Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Well, it didn't kill her

DD has taken an interest in helping me in the kitchen. She likes to "make salad". That means using a tiny little knife to cut things into chunks (in the case of cucumbers) or smush them into oblivion (in the case of tomatoes) or shred them while somehow at the same time leaving the shreds attached like a paper snowflake (in the case of lettuce). But I am just glad she wants to help, so I give her a cutting board and make her scrub up to the elbows, tie back her hair, and let her have at it. I turned and saw her making an odd face. Very pensive. "Um. I just ate a piece of cucumber". I asked how it was. "I didn't hate it". She didn't look like she was sure she was going to live, however LOLOL. A little while later she licked the salad dressing off a lettuce wisp. How was it? "I didn't hate that either". She wasn't exactly pleased about the entire situation either - and declined to try more. But to me? This means HOPE! There is hope! Hope that I might get a serving of veggies into that little body before I die. My parting wish just may be some version of "try just one bite!" as I hold out an obligatory funeral cabbage roll. I don't know what it is about funerals and my family, but they always bring cabbage rolls out of the woodwork. Big ones, small ones, tomato, no tomato, saurkraut, no saurkraut. Not that I am complaining, I like a good cabbage roll after all. DD's first taste of solid food after cereal, was pureed zuchini that I grew, cooked, and blended myself. She LOVED it. Then spinach, and carrots, and beans. Some was fresh from the garden, and some was frozen that I had put up myself. She even preferred my veggies to applesauce and strained pears. She didn't really like the baby food offereings, but she would ask for peas and beans by name. Then something happened. I am not sure what exactly. It happened around the time we started her on meats. She suddenly stopped eating the veggies, and wanted meats and cereal. She wasn't even big on the fruit, although she did like sweet. And she has stayed the same since. I am having my first salad in several days, now that my mouth has healed (and no, I still have no idea what the problem was, but I am afraid to eat celery now) - and in the hopes that it might wake my taste buds up a little and make me feel a bit refreshed. So far, it is not working. And the onion is giving me immediate heartburn. Sigh. How nerdy is it that I looked so forward to a stupid salad, and that I am so deeply disappointed ROFL? See me next week, when I wax poetic about stir fry again.

No comments: