Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The best eggs EVER

Two eggs, scrambled with a bit of sour cream, fresh herbs from the garden, and some good irish cheddar cheese. Heaven! Add some small sliced tomatoes and sourdough toast, and you have yourself a breakfast you can't shake a stick at. Or something. Anyway, it was good LOL. The only thing missing was the cabana boy to make it, serve it, and clean the kitchen afterwards. What can I say...good cabana boys are hard to find. Well, they aren't hard to find, but they keep escaping. *cough* I need a beach vacation. Now, I have to clarify. I don't SWIM in beach water. Either it is ocean water and even if it is crystal clear and blue for miles, there is the threat of being chomped by an ocean critter - OR - it is lake water and murky. How can I swim knowing there fish with big teeth having a grand old time swimming around where I can't see them? And we won't talk about the lake stink that clings when you swim in that water and air dry. Blech. People always say that fresh fish does not smell fishy, but rather has the aroma of the sea. Have you smelled that dreg lately? Does not make a meal more appealing to tell me it smells like the beach. Oog! But what I need, is to lay on a towel in the warm sand under the warm sun, with a nice breeze blowing and the sound of the waves crashing and gulls crying and stuff. Sigh. That would be so nice! One of my favourite things is to walk along a beach looking at shells and things, dipping my toes into the shallow surf to cool off from the hot dry sand. My hair blowing in the breeze, sun kissing my shoulders. Even better if it is sun rise or sun set. Of course, I won't be able to brush my hair without a whole tub of conditioner and the car will never be sand free afterwards. But that is the price to pay for the experience! Not going to happen any time soon, my friends LOL. Have I mentioned that I can add "fish saviour" to my resume? That is right. The other night I found Cedric floating upside down. I panicked, thinking he was dead! But then I noticed his gills and eyes moving. What the heck? He looked a little bloated as well. Then I remembered reading somewhere on the web something about fish swimming upside down and being "fixed" with frozen peas. Who am I to argue with a random memory of a web-page from who knows when? And what could it hurt? So I popped some peas out of their shells and dropped them in. And they promptly sailed past the fish and sank to the bottom. Alrighty then. Let's try that again, but differently. I split the peas but left the shell on so that the skin would trap some air. It worked! They floated! Nowhere near Cedric, however. Then I got a brilliant idea! I used a chopstick to push him down to where the peas are. He happily gobbled a piece or two before floating back to his position, upside down in the corner of the tank near the filter tube. Oh well. I decided to give him his dignity and privacy so he could die in peace. An hour later I checked again, and he was happily swimming around the tank! no longer upside down, no longer languishing in the corner. And all the peas were gone. Was it the peas? Was he just sleeping upside down to try something new? Was he trying to avoid being poked with a chopstick again? We may never know. But as far as I am concerned, I saved that little fish. That is my story, and I am sticking to it! There is no limit to my magnitude! Er....or something. Last night after DD took a bath, she was snuggled on my lap while we watched TV. She was all clean and freshly lotioned and powdered and her hair was still damp. I sniffed her neck deeply and said "You smell like roses". She sniffed me back and said "You smell like.......dog" ROFLMAO! And I wouldn't doubt it. I spend most of my time with the dog on my lap, on my head, on my feet, at least touching some part of my body. I'll have to have my sister sniff me and tell me if I really do smell like dog. Can you imagine, that I may have been walking around all this time smelling like a dog? Even Ruby doesn't smell like a dog all the time. When she first comes in from outside she smells doggy for a few minutes. But then she goes back to her usual puggy smell, sort of a cross between a wash cloth and fritos. Plain ones, not barbeque. That would be weird. Of course, then I rememberd that I had run out of shampoo and had to use the baby shampoo I usually use on the dog and cats. For the time being, I am going to force myself to believe she said I smelled like the dog because I smelled like baby shampoo. And you just let me think what I want, hear me?!?! In knitting news, I am a little more than half way done the pair of pedicure socks that don't fit me. I am going to call them size medium. I have another ball of the same sock yarn, so I will start with larger needles and try again, hoping to get a pair my size. That would be size gigantic, extra wide, in case you were wondering.

3 comments:

Poops said...

I feel the same way about swimming. I'll brave it, but if so much as a scrap of random seaweed or a wee mackerel touches me, I go screaming out of there like I've been shot out of a cannon.

I'm a freak.

And speaking of freaks, I'm tagging you with the 7 random things meme. Let's get random!

Julie said...

The only time I've seen the ocean since the summer before 7th grade was a trip to NYC a few years ago. It was in August. We went to a beach whose name I can't remember out on Long Island. The sand was FULL of teeny tiny shell critters. If you scooped up a handfull of sand, within a few seconds you could feel all the little "tongues" trying to dig themselves back down deeper into the sand. aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAIIIIIIII! I admit I screamed and did the floppy hand dance the first time. But before long, we were all digging our toes into the sand so we could feel the tongues on our feet.

Strange how my most bizaare memory of New York happened on the beach.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Are you sure you're not my long lost twin? I too won't step foot in water unless I can see the bottom. When I was younger I would but then my older sister explained to me all about jellyfish and that was the end of that! Give me pink sand and still blue water and I'm happy.

That makes me think of all the island vacations I've spent sitting around the pool LOL!