Friday, August 31, 2007

Diabolical!

Dark chocolate covered almonds. Brookside Chocolate Bowl. They are like a train wreck. If I eat too many I get a tummyache, and yet I just can't stop. I have to hide them from myself, then I lie in bed awake and think about going to get them from their hidey place and finishing them off. Best not to even bring them in the house. I am thoroughly enjoying my new Tassimo beverage system. Easy enough to use that DD can do it (now that I have shown her how). She likes the hot chocolate, although it was a bit of a learning curve for her. She is used to a sweeter, thicker, milkier version and this is a thinner, less intense (but still very good) version made from a liquid rather than a powder. I think I might try giving her a chocolate disk then a milk disk to add and see if she likes that even better. It might be closer to what she is used to. The espresso is very good. I made myself a latte last night that was even better than what I would get at starbucks, and at about 40 cents per cup it sure beats the price! I find the Nabob coffee a little bitter. But today I added a bit of extra water using the "manual" button and found a perfect balance for me. I have used Nabob in the past for drip coffee and I did find it bitter. I can't wait to try the Maxwell house disks (we are good to the last drop people here). I'll have to set my agents on watching in the US for the green tea, english breakfast, and tazo black tea disks which aren't available here. I have heard you can get the Twinnings earl grey disks but haven't seen them yet. Interested to try the tea. The cafe crema was also very good, and I think DH would like it very much. He was dismayed at the small shot of espresso he got. He didn't realize how little a real shot was LOLOLOL. I reminded him that the dixie cup he normally gets at the local coffee bar is a DOUBLE shot. So far I am very happy with this machine, even with the cost. It's about time I spent some money on myself I think. DH started to be a bit stinky about it. "That much money on something you use, like, once a day?". So I pointed out the money he spends on movies that he might watch once or twice then pile up to gether dust for eternity. He got quieter after that. I'll have to come up with something inventive to store the disks though, I don't have a lot of cupboard, shelf, or counter space to spare. Hopefully in the next day or two I can post some knitting progress pictures. I haven't gotten much farther on the tank for myself but plan to work on it again soon. I have made slippers (a few sample pairs to test the pattern for size and gauge etc.) and a final pair that should fit the recipient. I have started a shrug of sorts for DD. She gets cold arms but sometimes gets too hot with a full sweater or jacket. So I am making her an "elephant trunk" - two sleeves connected by a bit of a back piece. I have seen them called shrugs, hugs, and countless other names. The yarn is a very soft and fluffy super bulky acrylic that should wear well but be warm and soft and cozy. And machine washable! Hand wash and dry clean only items don't survive here. You want to stay in this house you have to sustain the abuse and neglect we ALL get. For the long week-end I plan on hitting the market big time and getting some cooking and canning done. Bread and butter pickles, chili sauce, "blue" pickles (very sweet, and take days to make), I might make some jelly if some fruit looks good. Possibly mustard pickles as well. These are to give as christmas gifts, sort of nostalgia for some people that might be needing that right about then. I would also like to cook and freeze some mushrooms to use instead of canned. DD noticed all the canned whole mushrooms here are from China and that concerns her. A seven year old with her finger on the pulse of national news. What do you know. We use a lot of canned whole mushrooms. I have done this before when I got two boxes of really good mushrooms for an excellent price so I know it works fine and we like the finished product. Plus there is always a satisfaction in using something you have put up yourself, you know? If I play my cards right I might have enough cukes leftover to make a big container of "counter dills" - kosher style pickles made in a glass container on the counter before chilling. These don't get canned and are meant for eating as soon as possible after they are "done". Think Claussen pickles without the 4.99 a jar price tag. Fall must be in the air, because I am getting these strong "nesting" instincts. I long to make hearty soups and chicken and dumplings, roasts surrounded by savoury root veggies and boiled dinners. Winter food basically. I enjoy spring and spring food, summer and summer food, fall and fall food, winter and winter food. I think that is why we have seasons, so we don't get bored with the scenery or the dinners! Or maybe I just need to turn down (up?) the air conditioning and eat lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dark chocolate covered anything is my favorite.

i googled your new coffeemaker, it is much more complicated than mine. i can stick a teabag in my melitta and have hot tea. glad you are loving it. you deserve it.

anette