Friday, September 07, 2007

I'm freakin' out man, freaking OUT!

So today I went to PetSmart to get Hamster food and bird food because we needed it and I had a coupon thingy for 5.00 off a 10.00 purchase. I also needed to make Ruby's next appointment for her spa treatments. While I was there I realized I had ALREADY bought bird food and the hamster food alone would not bring me over 10.00. By sheer coincidence, I had been thinking about getting another snail or two for the tank. Sure, when the snails get older they do nothing to keep the tank clean but while they are small they do a very good job. DH convinced me to get a rock shrimp and a snail rather than two snails. I figured why the heck not, even though secretly I am afraid of that shrimp. Okay not so secret seeing as you all know I am sort of scared of the snails and have my suspicions about Cedric (the murderous goldfish). The fish lady (fish person?) put a piece of paper towelling in the bag with the shrimp and snail. When queried about it, she responded "It's something for the shrimp to hang onto. They are happier when they can hold onto something" A horrid thought occurred to me that involved me transferring said shrimp to the tank and it scuttling up and onto my finger and hanging on, and a lot of screaming and stuff. I put it out of my mind and tried to start breathing again. We got home, I floated the bag in the tank blah blah blah then decided it was time to transfer the new arrivals to their "forever" home. You will be glad to know that the shrimp tried no shenanigans and we all managed the transfer unscathed and screamless. Until a few moments ago. I peeked around the tank to see how the newcomers are coming along and all that. The snail is careening around the glass as expected, and the shrimp seems to have completely disappeared. Now, this shrimp is too big to eat (to big for CEDRIC to eat I should say) and we were told they are not into hiding under rocks or digging themselves under the gravel. So where could it have gone? My mind fabricated a pretty clear picture of the thing scuttling up the dip tube and out the small hole in the lid where the cords and stuff come out. I stifled a small shriek, then flapped my hands like a birdie and fought the urge to run around in circles. Now, I know the chances the thing got out are slim. And even if it did, it is not like it could HURT me. Yet at the same time, the thought that this thing could be clinging to be somewhere while I am oblivious is too horrifying to deal with without strong drugs or copious amounts of dark chocolate. A few minutes of "square breathing" (Dr. Joy Brown) and I was able to stop the hand flapping and general heeby-jeeby actions. I screwed up my courage, and took a good long look in the tank. And by golly, if that thing wasn't just sitting there on the rock. And frankly, the heebie-jeebies are back full force. I didn't really LOOK at this thing before be bought it. I mean, I know what a shrimp looks like, right? Apparently not. I now have what looks like a big old bug scrabbling around in there. *shudder* How does one name a shrimp, anyhow? Maybe DD will come up with a good name. On the brighter side, now that he have a crustacean again (remember princess the potato bug?) it gets me off the hook for our zoo and I don't even have to entertain the idea of a reptile.

1 comment:

Parhelia said...

Eeek! I would have totally been doin' the heebie-jeebie dance with you!! *shudder* But we did just watch Finding Nemo the other day, and that shrimp was nice. French, but nice. Perhaps it would help to think of your shrimp as being French? You know, the French are weird and all that stereotypical stuff. *wink wink, nudge nudge* But somehow it seems appropriate for a shrimp to say "ze" and "zis" and "zat." LOL
But if you want to learn more about shrimpies, we did this book that's pretty cool. Search Amazon for "Remarkable Shrimps" by Raymond T. Bauer. It's expensive, so you might want to see if you could get it through your library. But be warned, zere are lots of ze pictures!!!