Thursday, October 11, 2007

Of rental cars and things

Lately when I travel for work it involves a four hour drive each way. I usually rent a car, since I am not convinced mine would make the distance at highway speeds. The last time I drove it 100km per hour a bolt flew off and broke somebody's windshield. I don't wish to repeat such a feat while on the 401 sandwiched by trucks. I have had some doozies, and some really nice ones. I have discovered I hate Uplander mini-vans, and I really really really enjoy satellite/XM radio LOL. Let me tell you, that drive is almost impossible unless you have it (or a kick ass collection of CD's. Which I don't have.) This time I got a really cool looking car (a Dodge Caliber) that is almost brand spanking new (no dented mini-vans - yay!). With. No. Satellite. Radio. I was so desperate that by the time I got here I was listening to a debate on the new referendem vote in French. What is worse? Listening to a Canadian political debate? The fact that the vote is actually over already and the matter has been decided? Or that it was in a language I only half understand? I forgot to pack my ipod (not that I even know where it is since DD snitched it immediately after the last charging) and the car looks like it has an inlet jack. I might have to try and burn my play list onto a CD in time for the drive back lest my eyes roll back in my head. I could be wrong, but driving with one's eyes rolled back doesn't sound safe. You know that game, where you give two situations and ask "Which would you do" or "which is better or worse"? Usually the two situations are equally heinous, only in a different way. Like, would you rather freeze to death or burn to death? Drown in water or suffocate dryly. Is dryly even a word? It doesn't matter, I think you get the picture. Here is MY game. Pick the better car rental. Would you rather a brand new car that smells nice but has nothing to listen to for a 4 hour drive all by yourself - or a dented Uplander mini-van that handles like crap and smells like crotch (and not even your OWN crotch) BUT has XM radio? At this very moment, just stretching after that four hour drive 'en francais', I don't know which one I would pick. Pray for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok -- go buy a pre-loaded Ipod & then return it after your trip.. then torture your child with something awful since she 'stole' yours... hummmm what kind of torture would be appropriate... bamboo skewers --- not where you think -- but filled with BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Moi, je choisirais le premier. Aucun concours. La discussion ne serait pas trop mauvaise. Se demander à qui fourche je sentais serait inacceptable.

JazmynsMom

NaughtyKitty (KT) said...

I would pick the nice car without XM. I am a devotee of library audio books. Some library systems even have ebooks that you can download online onto your computer or MP3 player. Makes the drive go by so nicely! Please drive safe!

Anonymous said...

jazmynsMom -- you're a smarty pants... lol

anettemartinrn said...

i will always opt for the "no smell of crotch" vehicle.

anette