Monday, November 05, 2007

Cleaning day

Ahhhhh. Know what that is? The feeling of waking up without a job. It's the feeling of freedom from knowing that you don't have to WORK today. No deadlines, no paperwork. No emails to answer or send. Just so you know, this feeling is fleeting and generally comes right before the one of searing terror. The 'I don't have a JOB' feeling. Also called paralyzing fear, but we don't need to talk about that until it starts. First things first, house cleaning. Now, I may have worked from home, but that didn't mean I got housework done or was caught up on laundry. Very contrary to that actually. I spent so much time on the computer working, doing research for work, finding code snippets that I might be able to use and so on that I spent most of my time here in this corner of the basement. When I ventured out into the daylight, blinking and flinching at the sun, I am sure people assumed I was some sort of vampire. I suppose, with the knowledge I have of other programmers and home workers, that assessment is not that far from the truth LOL. We live our days in dark corners of the house, huddled in front of a tiny LCD screen, sucking in as much electronic info as we can as quickly as possible. Sounds vampirish to me! My house is cluttered, messy, and dirty at this point. Dust, cat and dog hair, wrappers, discarded bits. Stuff that hasn't been put away or things that just don't have a home. Things we don't use anymore and things we want to start using but haven't. Feathers - not from the canary but rather from the feather boas that seemed like a good idea at the time but are picky and itchy and shed fluffies everytime they are even looked at. This place is a health hazard! But still, I have to be careful not to overdo it. One intense day of cleaning and scrubbing leads to three days on my back unable to move or do anything. This gives dogs, cats, children, and husbands free range of the house. And they quickly undo anything I was able to complete. No, this time I will work slow and steady to win the race. Today I decluttered the living room and cleaned the glass of the screen door. DH actually cleaned the kitchen counter (including doing dishes, loading the dishwasher, and SCRUBBING the countertop. That part alone was almost enough to make me cry tears of joy). He also put away the golf clubs we have been tripping over for four months and moved cases of beer and water out of the kitchen into the basement where they belong. Tonight? Going through the drawers in the bathroom and de-junking because we can hardly close them any more. I never take anything OUT of those drawers, we just keep jamming stuff IN lol. For the last few days, all I have wanted to eat was whole grain toast and raw veggies. Even carrots, which are not my favourite when raw. Soup is okay, but just not in the mood to eat the typical meat and potatoes meal. I go through these phases a few times per year and I have learned over the years to just go with it. If my body wants celery sticks and baby carrots, why not go ahead and give it what it wants? At least it isn't asking for jelly donuts and mochachinos. Just in case you were wondering, eating more raw veggies than you normally do, has a ...ahem...cleaning effect of it's own. So if you excuse me, my body is giving me the signal that it needs to 'declutter' again.

1 comment:

hensteeth said...

You're right. The cleaning itch has started to get my attention. I have the dog hair and dust bunnies, and also dirty ceiling fans and tile floors. I think a bit at a time, top down like Grandma taught me, and it might be altogether satisfying. Thanks!