Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trick or Treat!

We had about 100 kids last night, give or take a few. Tombstones and pumpkins only this year. It was very windy, though I managed to keep all but one pumpkin lit most of the night. We had the scary music on and the smoke machine. It was kind of puny as far as setup goes. But the breeze was actually working for us. Here we were worried our tombstones looked hokey because they were being blown around. Turns out, after it got dark the way they were moving it almost looked like they were automated and were supposed to be moving (like whoever was burried was waking up). We had people ask how we did that - tee hee!
We made treats for DD's classroom. They didn't dress up, but rather had "black and orange" day. We made "spiders" which are basically blobs of halloween smarties mixed with melted chocolate chips spooned into a milk chocolate wafer base (the big thin wafers, not the melting wafer thingies). Then you poke in some licorice for legs, add eyes, and we sprinkled on some black and orange sugar so they are tarantulas LOL. Messy to make, but I think they are kind of cute. The stick is a candy shisk-kabob. Halloween gummies and treats skewered on a stick. After making those I was so sticky I could hardly stand myself. Each child in her class got a stick and a spider in a cellophane bag. I sent a few extras so she could give them to teachers too.








DD was a "Bad Spirit" cheerleader. Think High School Musical gone goth ROFL.
And wouldn't you know it, Ruby wanted to be a cheerleader too! She was so excited, it was impossible to get a good picture of her. I know a lot of people don't believe this, but a lot of pugs don't mind wearing costumes at all. In fact, most seem to like it. It is hats and hoods and things they usually object to. As long as I don't make her wear a hat or something on her paws, Ruby loves to wear dresses. Other than chasing two teenage boys in scream costumes right out of the yard, she was very good all night. When I saw kids coming up I would say "Up up Ruby" and she would come up on the porch and stand next to me while I handed out candy. And she let all the kids pet her. Later in the evening she got cold so sat on my lap while I handed out the candy. It was so funny, when the kids would open their candy bags in front of me waiting for their hand-out, sometimes Ruby would peer inside. As if to say "So, what kind of treats did you bring me?". We only had one child this year refuse to walk up to the porch. And she was afraid of the DOG. I said "but that is not a dog. That is a CHEERLEADER" but she was not fooled.

We had our last trick-or-treaters around 8:30 so we tore down. Just enough time to come inside and warm up, finish off homework and go to bed. Well for DD anyway. I did not wear my hat. It seems in storage it got damaged and the wires broke, and now it is all floppy and looks silly. Oh well. It was good while it lasted. And gives me a good excuse to get a new, better one ;).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos!! She's a sweetie -- scary but sweetie! Loved the punkins!