Friday, January 25, 2008

My kingdom for some kielbasa!

I bought some sauerkraut in a jar from a Polish market. It is the crispest, whitest, and mildest kraut I have ever tasted. Very very good. So good and mild and crisp that I even made cole slaw with some of it LOL. I made myself a turkey reuben sandwich, and sauteed some with noodles and onions. Added a bit to some leftover spaghetti sauce and water for a very tasty soup. There is still some in the jar and I am dying to use it up. I have cravings for kielbasa and sauerkraut. DD and DH won't touch it. Since DH is on afternoons and isn't home for dinner, I could make it for myself and throw something else together for DD. But I only like it made with the GOOD kielbasa and I haven't been able to get to the market for some. DD came home early sick today so I am crossing my fingers I can get to the market tomorrow. Plus my driver's side windshield wiper blade keeps breaking off. This is not a good time of year to be driving in this city with no windshield wipers. Within a block I am blind. It keeps coming off and they keep "fixing" it and it just comes off again. I will insist this time that they just replace BOTH blades because I don't like them anyway and it is getting quite ridiculous. But anyway it makes it hard to just jump in the car and go when you have a second, because I have to preheat the car and scrape the windows and squeegee them just to get going (which is a pain in itself because the thin sheath of water keeps refreezing). Then I have to stop repeatedly to clean the window. Slushy roads, salt, blowing snow, people who don't clean off their cars so give off a wake of snow flakes that blanket you as they pass, and it has been snowing on and off for a few days. DD thinks I shouldn't even bother with new blades. She thinks I should just get a new car. I like how that girl thinks. Now she just better get to work so she can loan me the money ;).

1 comment:

hensteeth said...

I made your red lentil soup/stew/chile and it is fabulous! Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is my new favorite dish.

And I'm the only one in my family that loves sauerkraut too. And the last one you think would willingly eat a nice plate of fermented cabbage. Even with kielbasa.