Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No soup for you!

Actually, there is LOTS of soup for everyone. One roasted capon (which is the size of a monster chicken) made a lot of rich, tasty broth. Enough for one batch of mixed soup (the capon broth, carrots and celery and onion, little bits of barley and israeli couscous and quinoa and multi-coloured orzo, and a handful of chickpeas). One batch of basic chicken noodle with no veggies (which DD and DH gobbled up like they haven't eaten in a year). One batch of red lentil soup that is mostly lentils and tomatoes but nicely finished off the rest of the broth. Everything was dished out into containers - well, except what the peanut gallery ate - and cooled, and will be frozen for reheating later as lunches or quick dinners. I love soup. I could eat a different home made soup every day. A steaming bowl of soup love, some crusty whole grain bread, and maybe a salad (one could also add some pickles or beets or olives to nibble if we want to go way over the top) and I am a happy camper. DH and DD like soup, but don't share my affection for veggies. I guess lone broth with maybe noodles and some thin shreds of meat doesn't sound like a very good dinner. Too bad for them, then. I don't know why, but I have been in a beany/grainy mood lately. Lentils. Chickpeas. Barley and cous cous and quinoa and brown rice. I bought some kasha last night and can't decide if I want to eat it as is (added to cereal maybe?) or cook it alone, or in a combo with something. My mind keeps telling me to add it to some beef broth with onions. And breads! I could eat an entire loaf of whole grain artisan bread every day. My favourite are the kinds that have a thick, crispy crust and the inside is full of holes, the strands inside almost floss like. Most places add a lot of sugar or honey to cover the taste of whole wheat. I don't want a soft smudgy loaf that looks like a poorly baked zuchini bread. I want a crispy, flossy bread made with fresh whole wheat flour. Or a nice dense rye bread. Or a good sourdough. Or.....well, you get the picture LOL. Maybe I need the B-vitamins or something. There is a recipe I want to try, for a no-knead bread that is baked in a "dutch oven" - basically a heavy pot. I have heard that it produces the crisp crust I am looking for, and I have seen whole-wheat adaptations. My only problem is that while I do have a dutch oven, it is NOT a heavy cast iron or enamled version and I am not sure if the handles and knob are oven safe. I have been keeping my eyes open for a cast iron/enamel version, but they are quite pricey. I have seen some in good brands and in colours I like, and I have seen some at a good price but not the colour I want. I am cheap AND picky, which if you ask me is a diabolical combination. I have set aside some of my birthday money for just this purchase. I have decided exactly how much I am willing to spend for the PERFECT one for me. And let's face it, it might take a fire sale to get the kind I want in the colour I covet. I guess I am willing to wait. In the meantime, since I am not especially fond of the dutch oven I already have and it doesn't hold any sentimental value, I might just go ahead and try it. If it doesn't turn out to be oven safe, then I guess I have lost nothing and gained some shelf space, right? Maybe I should notify the neighbours that if they see me lob a smoking, melting pot out into the snow to just ignore it. Ah heck, let them deal with it if it happens. It wouldn't be the first time I jetisonned something out the front door and surprised a neighbour walking by. It's part of my charm ;).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I see where you have colour you want -- I was going to suggest you hike down to a hardware store & buy a 'lodge' cast iron dutch oven... ps... please post the recipe - cause I have a dutch oven.. Have you tried on-line -- yikes- I forgot that the postage would kill ya!

Naughty Kitty--KT said...

Your soups sound absolutely delish! I'd love some recipes. I just got my 1st cast iron pot for Christmas. I have never used one before so I don't even know what to make. Mine is an orangy red.