Saturday, January 05, 2008

Yo ho ho and a trip to the ER

Well, my retail therapy has to wait, at least another day. For today was spent in the ER with DD. Mostly we waited and watched "Snow White". DD woke up this morning with horrible stomach pains. She was white as a sheet, in a cold sweat, and couldn't get comfortable in any position. I was worried it might be appendix (even though she had no fever) - and anyway - I think it is best not to take abdominal pain too lightly. DH decided NOT to come with us. I guess he didn't think it was that serious. We only waited a couple of hours to get in, and not long after for a doctor to see her. They wanted a blood and urine sample, and it took three nurses (including one male nurse that is the tallest man I have ever seen in my life) and myself to hold her down so they could do it. Gawd, this child is strong. Must be all the cat food and tap water ;). Anyway. They finally got their blood sample, and a traumatized DD asked for her daddy. So I called and said she was asking for him. He decided to come after all (more about that later). The results came back, blood test was fine but she has a urinary tract infection. According to the doctor, kids aren't great at describing their pain, and spasms from a UTI can be quite painful. Of course, by then the pain had pretty much subsided but it was a relief to know it wasn't her appendix. In celebration I picked up some new potatoes and a gianormous capon to roast for dinner. Nothing is as mild and comforting as roasted chicken and potatoes, if you ask me. Now. About DH. We are not on the best of terms at the moment (surprise surprise). Yesterday, he was too sick to move and couldn't come to dinner or lift his head long enough to supervise DD while I ran out to the store. But as soon as we left, he got up and showered and managed to make it to Best Buy to get that movie set he wanted. Oh, and he picked up the iPod nano for me since he was there. He had DD wrap it while I was in the bathroom last night. He also got a birthday card for me since he "had to get one for his mom and uncle anyway". I didn't want it. He said I was being ungrateful. Since he was STARVING he had McDonald's, and seemed a little upset I didn't bring back any food he would like from the restaurant. This morning when he decided not to go with us to the hospital, I can tell you it put a black mark on my heart. He was TOO SICK to get up and go. But when I called, he was up and moving around and doing things. When he did get to the hospital he moaned the entire time about the cost of parking, how out of breath he was from walking from the parking lot to the emergency room, and how he would have come earlier if he knew it was "this serious". After 15 minutes he started complaining about the wait, saying that he wanted lunch. DD and I hadn't eaten yet, he had eaten a full breakfast, and he was hungry. We didn't much care, but he was too busy complaining about the long wait to notice. After we got back home and got DD settled in, we had a discussion. It never occured to him that his actions might have been selfish. I told him DD could not understand why he didn't come, and how he could go shopping and to McD's when he was too sick to go out with us. I asked him "What was I supposed to say to that?". He didn't have an answer. He kept saying he felt terrible about it. He was sorry. I told him sometimes saying sorry is not enough to smooth things over, especially with kids. Telling DD he feels terrible for not going is not gonna make her feel better. So now he is quiet and sulky. After dinner his mother called and he told her about our day. Her reply? "OMG, are you okay? You must be SOOOOO tired". She said this to DH. Never mind asking how DD was. Never mind he wasn't the one with her at the crack of dawn. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

7 comments:

hensteeth said...

A big hug from Texas.

Mary said...

Big hugs to you, Dances. I hope things get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Big hug from Illinois!! You know the saying, Men are from Mars!!

Liira said...

Dances, I feel for you. I hope things get better.

Jill said...

Dances,
So sorry about your ER trip, that stinks! Hopefully your 2008 will get better :)

I wanted to ask you a question about a tomato hat...if you have time, can you email me? Thank you!
J

DancesInGarden said...

Jill, I can't seem to reply to you from here. Can you email me directly (dancesingarden at sympatico dot ca) and ask your question? I hope you see this!

JenTX said...

Oh Dances, my heart aches for you. I know you've had many, MANY struggles with your H's selfishness and yes, his not going to the ER was majorly selfish. Seems like the last time he got this way, you packed his suitcase and that got his attention to the seriousness of the problem. I am so sorry your darling DD was so sick and I hope she's feeling better. Those younguns seem to bounce back fast but I'm sure she'll never forget that her daddy wasn't there with her when she needed him. (((((Dances & DD)))))