Monday, May 12, 2008

One good day, one not so good day

Saturday we celebrated Mother's Day with my family. My brother hosted a BBQ in his backyard, and the deal was that our men were to bring a side dish to share as well as char us up some protein of our choice. It was a beautiful day, sunny yet cool. Everything was very good (we brought pork chops, and it seemed like EVERYBODY had them too LOL!). DH and DD made chocolate cake and cherry chip cupcakes. They were hilarious to watch, seeing as they were mixes but you would have thought they were on iron chef ;). As the day wore down to evening my brother lit a fire in his firepit, which was welcome because it had become chilly but it was still so nice out. We stayed into the night, with the kids joyfully making s'mores right before we left. A nice time was had by all. Sunday? Well, Sunday was cold cold cold and rainy rainy rainy. The annoying sideways kind of rain that gets in your ear. I HATE that. Anyway, DD visited with MIL while DH and I did such fun things as clean the house and grocery shop. Then we picked up DD and MIL and went for dinner. The restaurant was very crowded already even though we were extremely early. Most were large parties, so we only waited about 5 minutes or so since we were only 4. To hear MIL tell it though we were standing at the door until midnight. She kept saying "maybe we should go to the chicken place" (Swiss Chalet to the uninitiated). "I bet there is no waiting at the chicken place". "Too bad Dances doesn't like the chicken place because we always get a seat right away". Now mind you, she continued to comment well after we were seated, and even after we had eaten and were on our way to take her home. That woman gives me a headache. The food itself was good though. With that fact, and that DH and DD had served me breakfast in bed (pancakes, sausages, and coffee. DD delivered me the ketchup for my sausages with quite a flourish LOL) I have to say that all in all Mother's Day weekend was pretty good. If the weather had been better Sunday DH and I would have gone plant shopping as my gift, but it was too cold and windy and rainy. I like to take my time and browse and touch and feel every shrub and plant. Maybe some time this week if the weather improves, as DH is on afternoons and has the day to roam with me while DD is at school. I gave my mother home made rhubarb jelly, two crocheted cotton bath puffs, and two knitted washcloths. The net scrubbies and bath poofs scratch her legs (her lupus is attacking her skin in spots on her legs) so I am hoping these cotton ones will work better for her. I gathered the middles into 'knobs' to make them easier to grip as well - she has bad hands. Now, in my mind, my gift was thoughtful and personal. A bit of spring in a jar using the rhubarb from her family lineage (that she waxes poetic about occasionally), and items made with just her in mind. It continues to surprise me that there are people that view things like this as "free" and "cheap" even though hours of my time and thought and planning ahead by weeks were involved. Oh well. I won't make any jam for THOSE people ;). I made another batch of Arabian Pita bread today, using all white flour. I am still impressed. I still cannot roll dough into a circle to save my life. It seems my starter is still alive and well! I also have a batch of whole wheat bread dough on the rise. I sifted out the bran flakes, ran them through the spice grinder and mixed them back in. Hopefully this will work out well. I plan on baking this batch in a loaf tin to get more uniform slices. We'll see how it goes - especially since I used 100% whole wheat and no white flour in the recipe. I have started Yoga (sort of again, as I dabbled with it years ago but never kept it up) and the session this morning was very challenging. No flexibility, no balance, no strength. I think as far as starting points go, I should be rated BELOW zero! It amazes me that a person can be so still and work up such a sweat! You would think I was running in place or lifting weights or something. Ruby is getting used to this. She no longer tries to lie on the mat underneath me while I do poses, nor tries to climb onto my back like a mountain goat. She lies a respectful distance away on the floor next to me. She learned early on that when I lose my balance and fall, I have NO control over my direction and even if you are the cutest snuggliest and snortiest doggie ever I WILL stomp you. When I am done and start rolling up the mat, she stands up and does a BIIIIIG stretch - she does the best downward facing dog I have ever seen;). She even stretches out her paws and extends her toes, then she arches her back upwards and stretches her back legs. It is hilarious. Apparently she is so puggily fit that these are all the poses she needs to keep her piglet figure. If only I were so lucky.

No comments: