Friday, June 20, 2008

Welcome Lexi!

My sister and her family are going away for the week-end, so their poodle Lexi is visiting here with us. She is absolutely adorable, in a mini labradoodle way ;). She is supposed to be a purebred mini (toy? I can never remember) poodle, but she has such long legs and a log body and runs around like crazy with her tongue hanging out. It reminds us of a tiny lab, so we call her labradoodle LOL.




Watching her and Ruby together is like seeing the before and after pics on a commercial for thyroid medicine. Here is Ruby, pudgy, walking around like dodey-do-dodey-do. Then there is Lexi, who runs around at the speed of light. In the yard, Ruby basically stands still and watches Lexi run circles around her at a million miles per hour. Then Lexi stops, pees, maybe poops, then starts the circles again. Ruby just watches her like "What are you ON?" LOLOL. I have never seen Ruby so excited to see another dog, as she was when Lexi walked in. They even PLAYED.

That's right! Ruby PLAYED. With a DOG. She was walking and Lexi was running and managed to get behind her. There is nothing Ruby likes more than being chased (well, okay, maybe food). She was so happy and excited that somebody was chasing her that it prompted an all out pug run. Although I don't know if you can still say a dog is chasing you if she passes you twice. Ruby, being the polite host, went and got out her toys for the visiter. This has not turned out well so far. It seems while Lexi can play with other dogs with toys, for some reason she is "guarding" them with Ruby. I am sure they are just working out their places and I am not worried at all. Ruby backed off the first couple of times, then got on her "Oh no you ditn't" scrunchy face and held her ground. Lexi backed off, mumbling the entire way, and climbed up on my lap. Very interesting! Moments later they were back to running around and licking faces again. She also "spoke" to Ruby while they were eating their treats after coming inside from a potty break. Ruby never even looked at Lexi's treat ROFL. Poodles are funny little things.

I may have mentioned this before, but my sister is....well shall we say.....better 'endowed' than I am. Lexi keeps climbing up on my chest then looks disappointed that she has to CLING with her paws to stay there. Apparently my "shelf" is not as stable as she is used to ;). She is very much a lap dog. Earlier I was trying to read the paper with a poodle perched on my chest and a pug across my lap, neither of which took kindly to having any part of a page touching them. And goodness forbid I turn the page too fast and make a rustling sound. Sheesh. She also stands up to look at things like a prairie dog, which cracks me up because she is so tall that way, but wide she is pencil thin.




There is something else that Lexi is famous for. She is a licker. She loves to lick constantly. She gives lick attacks. One minute you are sitting by yourself sipping a coffee, the next minute she lands on you and tries to put her tongue anywhere she can get it. Her favourite trick? She licks your eyeball. When you scream about that, she puts her tongue in your mouth. As you clap your hand over your mouth, and turn your head with a "mmmph!" she sticks her tongue in your EAR. The more you fuss and try to evade her the harder she tries to get you. See this picture? I was trying to snap a close up shot while holding her. Right as I pushed the button, she turned her head and got me right up the nose. Right UP the nose. Not like Ruby, we are talking sinus cleansing here. Then again, I might have needed that right about now LOL. I am sure this week-end will prove to be entertaining.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a nice houseguest in Lexi, especially after reading your account of DD's "prospective sleepover" guest on the garden web. Holy smokes!! That is unbeliveable. t

Jan