Thursday, July 31, 2008

That is NOT an olive

Doesn't that just strike fear in your heart? Did you start reading this, heart palpitating, wondering just what I found in something that I thought was an olive, and it turned out to be something totally different? Possibly totally dreadful? Well prepare to be totally and dreadfully.....disappointed ROFL! I bought what I thought was a black olive and rosemary focaccia, but somebody must have put them in the wrong pile because it was NOT black olive and rosemary. The dark bits that looked like olive pieces are carmelized onions, and I have no idea what the herb is. Thank goodness it wasn't sun-dried tomato, I might have hurled. It is okay, but drier than the olive bread and oddly enough, the onions impart no flavour to the surrounding dough. The pieces themselves are good, but there aren't many. I would have been even more disappointed if I had bought it on purpose I think. So my turkey sandwich with roasted marinated peppers and brie cheese was only just good. Normally they are AWESOME. I didn't realize until I got home that the brie I bought was chevalier - goat milk brie. Not that it matters. It is very good and creamy, not too salty, but I have to admit it tastes quite...well....goaty LOL. I bought some creamy goat cheese spread a little while ago that has a great taste and texture, but the aftertaste is goaty goaty goaty. Funny how that is fine for me in a feta, but in brie or cream type cheese? Not so much. Now, for the uninitiated. Cheese made from goats milk can be "goaty" in different ways. They tend to have a tartness or tang. That tanginess? That is good goaty. There is another variety of goatiness that is NOT sought after. This is what I am talking about. It's a sort of gamey, barn-like taste usually experienced as an afternote. It's like the barf breath one experiences after sampling several cheeses, only with eau-du-goat-barn mixed in. How is that for a description? Tee hee! I am just not batting 1000 with food lately. I made a batch of oatmeal cookies from a new (untried until now) recipe. I mixed some yogurt covered cranberries into half the batch. I have been thinking of these cookies all week. How did they turn out? Meh. Too sweet for me. They spread too much and though I like crisp cookies in general, these are more like brittle. And the cranberries seemed to have melted right in and disappeared. Next time, I will try yet another recipe, and use regular dried cranberries instead. They did smell awesome, though. I might try to convince DH to take me to Outback this week-end. I have been craving steak, and I can't find anything good enough to buy and make at home. Is it just me or has beef looked horrible lately? And for that price! Oh well. It's not like I'll starve ;).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try those dried cranberries in your next batch of chicken salad!!