Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tortilla Recipe

As requested. I got this from Recipezaar, recipe 286397. The ingredients are from the recipe, the directions are mine. 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (I use butter, or even better was Earth Balance vegan margarine) 2/3 cup hot tap water, plus some additional if needed Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the fat until it looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the hot water just until the dough comes together. Use your hands to make it into a dough ball. Knead for five minutes, adding flour if needed to keep it from being too sticky. Divide dough into 6 or 8 pieces. Form each piece into a flattened ball shape. Place back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough balls rest for 10 minutes to 1 hour. The resting makes it easier to roll the dough. Heat a heavy skillet (cast iron is great if you have it, I don't so use a heavy non-stick skillet) while you roll out a dough ball to the size and thin-ness desired. Extra points if it comes out round LOL! Cook on one side until you start to see bubbles/dent things and a peek reveals some dark flecks on the underside. Flip over and cook the other side until you see the dark spots/flecks. The recipe says 30 seconds on each side. Sometimes it is that fast, other times I cook them longer. Store flat in a sealable container. I place a paper towel in there to absorb moisture until they are cool, then I take that out and toss it. As one cooks roll out the next one. It seems like a crazy pace at first, but after some practice you will find that your dough is rolled out and waiting before the one in the pan is done. I wish I knew how to do the hand pat technique I have seen, where a little dough ball turns into a large, paper thin round by slapping it back and forth. I can't say how long these keep because I use them up within two days normally. I have used half and half white and whole wheat flour and really liked them (I prefer whole wheat tortillas, DH and DD like white). I haven't tried all whole wheat with this recipe yet. Sometimes I use the whole amount of baking powder, sometimes not. If I ever make it to Mexico, I am getting a comal, a tortilla press, and one of those hot chocolate whisk thingies with the wooden rings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'm from Texas so I should know how to do this but we rely on the great Mexican Restaurants around us. Homemade tortillas would score me huge brownie points with my hubby.

Just the Right Size said...

Dances,

I know you're busy now, but I'm tagging you! Please visit my blog to read the rules and participate!

Come on over and play (oh, and good luck on the first day at work)!