Wednesday, September 03, 2008

How do you like YOUR weenies?

I had some tofu dogs to use up and was in the mood for "beanie weenies". Basically baked beans with hot dogs cut up into them. Only I forgot to pick up meat free baked beans when we went grocery shopping. Being as I did have some barbque sauce to use as well(which tasted fine but was too mild and too thin) and a can of mixed beans, we were still in business! It's important to remember that vegetables are part of vegan eating. It is easy to get totally caught up in the meat substitutes and starchy foods like pasta and potatoes. I love veggies, so that is not a problem with me! I sauteed some onion and green pepper, and a sliced jalapeno from my garden (very mild this year, even with the seeds left in). Then I added half the can of beans - drained and rinsed of course, gotta reduce that sodium! - and about 1/4 cup of barbeque sauce. I didn't want them too sweet or overtaken by the sauce which would happen if I added 1/2 cup of it or more. But the beans still needed some simmering to bring all the flavours together. I added a bit of veggie stock to fulfill that. Cut in two tofu dogs, and let it all simmer until it was saucy and the beans were perfectly tender. Tofu dogs are too soft and their skins too tough for eating on a bun, I found. But sliced and mixed into beans (or even a thick soup or stew)? Yummy. They have that real hot dog smell, and the flavour too although it's a bit muted. A big bowl of beans and doggies, and some whole grain bread slathered with vegan margarine. Good dinner. Now if DH and DD would only stop making faces. Not at the tofu dogs, believe it or not, but rather the onions and peppers. Sheesh.

No comments: