Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter, and a belated good-bye

Hope everybody had a relaxing easter. DD and I made bread. We coloured easter eggs, and had our own little breakfast with kabasa and raisin bread and egg fights. Sunday I made dinner for the three of us....a small ham, mashed potatoes, and creamed peas. Done my parents proud, for sure ROFL. It was low-key, but nice. I didn't get to escape the in-laws entirely, we met them for dessert on Sunday night. You know, so they could tell me how I ruined their easter because we didn't go out to Swiss Chalet for dinner and so on. The usual ;). As for the belated good-bye. Right before march break, Sparkle the hamster developed a "squinky eye". It got bad real fast. In fact, her appointment was the day after we noticed it, and we got anti-biotics (drops for the eye and liquid to give her) but it didn't seem to be doing any good. I was basically doing surgery on her eye every night to clean it out, and it was not looking good. Her other eye started to look funny, not a good sign. So we brought her into the emergency vet to take a look. He cleaned her up and gave us an honest assessment. She might last another day, but the infection was not getting better. So we put her to sleep. Poor guy. There he was in a room full of people all teary eyed over a hamster. We still really miss her. Funny how something so small could become so beloved. When we got back from Spring vacation, we went and let DD pick out a new hamster. Her name is Dazzle. No pictures yet, she is notoriously difficult to photograph. And while she is friendly, she is not fond of being picked up. Kind of hurts the heart, when you want so bad to be able to kiss and hold her like Sparkle, who was very tame. But she is adorable even still and we all like her. Except she hisses at the dog and scares the crap out of us when she does it. I have NEVER heard something so small make such a scary noise ROFLMAO! Now. About this weather. I am not sure who I should talk to regarding this, but we have had enough of this now. It looks warm and sunny and spring like and the birds are chirping and daffodils are blooming and so on. But step outside and WHAM! The cold hits you like a brick. What the freak?!?!?! I find it offensive to have to wear my winter coat when it looks so nice outside. What kind of trick is this? My asparagus is up and has been stalled at an inch tall for two weeks now. It won't grow any more unless it warms up, so whoever is in charge of such things...would you MIND? I have the arbario rice and organic lemons waiting to make a nice batch of risotto with lemon and asparagus. The dogs are restless as well. We need to start going for long walkies, but that wind just cuts right through me. There I was, on what looked like a wonderful sunny day wearing a winter coat, touque, scarf, mittens, my winter boots, thick socks, and shivering. I made it around the block before I bailed. Sorry puppies, but until it warms up a bit this suckie bear is staying in. Dh was saying that maybe we should wait a year before getting a heater for the pool, seeing as we don't know what is going on with the auto industry. But if we do that, I can for sure say I will most likely not be able to swim in it. I just can't handle being chilled any more. No more barefoot in the snow for this chilly-willy. Today I was supposed to make the vegan mousakka that I have the ingredients for and was supposed to technically make to eat on Sunday. But the recipe calls for several steps (including slicing and roasting the veggies separately) and frankly, I am too lazy ROFL. I think maybe I will cut the veggies and toss them into a slow cooker with the sauce ingredients. Then I can spoon that into a casserole and top with the "creamy" layer. That sounds like a better plan. Although, that still requires I get off my arse and go chop veggies. Hmmmmmm........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was almost ready to send out a search party for you! Sorry to hear about Sparkle. Anne