Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Mmmm mmmmm Soup!

I know it is not quite soup weather, but I like a nice vegetable soup for lunch on a work day. It's quick, filling, and comforting on a busy day. Tonight I am simmering some onions, leeks (from the garden, yay!), turnip, carrot, mushrooms, radish leaves (thinnings from the garden), herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil, and sage all from the garden) and a mixture of vegetable and mushroom stock. Oh, and barley. I love barley. I might toss in some spinach leaves when it is done, they will cook from the residual heat. Tips of tarragon were a temptation, but I was worried the licorice flavour would not blend well with the mushrooms and veggies. Another time, maybe. For sure in my salad tomorrow. I nibbled a few and they are succulent and sweet. I am thinking romaine, spinach, sweet onion, and orange sections along with tarragon tips and a light citrus vinagrette. Mmmmmmm. Well, a bit more simmering and I am off to bed. *YAWN*

No comments: