Monday, March 19, 2012

That's some good pork!

Not too far back, I bought a "pork share" from here. Berkshire pork is a heritage breed. It has deep flavour, and a LOT of fat. The meat is darker than your typical grocery store pork, and I have to admit I had to modify my cooking methods a bit. Lower, slower, give it time to render and tenderize and give up it's juicy goodness. And give it up it does. Tonight I used some of the ground pork to make "torpedoes". Mix ground pork with seasonings (I used garlic and onion powder, some bbq rub, a good dose of pepper, and some tomato/chicken bouillon instead of salt). Add some breadcrumbs. They help catch the juices and hold them. Add a beaten egg (a fresh egg from a chicken that lives in a trailer works the best, but do what you can. Tee hee!). Mix well but lightly. You see, this pork has FAT. And you want that fat to stay in pieces, rather than smear all over. Plus you don't want to compact the meat. Shape into vaguely sausage shaped things (torpedo shapes) and brown in a skillet on all sides. My rolls were very tender, so turn carefully. Once each side is browned, slap a cover on them so that the insides can steam and cook and they can firm up a bit. Turn every once in a while for even browning. Once they are cooked through, drizzle on some bbq sauce to coat, and let sizzle a few minutes more to carmelize and coat the torpedos. Since I am allergic to celery I have been experimenting with fennel (both cooked and raw). Tonight it was a slaw made with thinly sliced fennel and some store bought french dressing I am trying to use up. Talk about a sum greater than the parts! And of course, frozen baked fries LOL. The entire meal, including defrosting the flat frozen package of meat took less than 30 minutes and tastes better than anything I could get at a restaurant or drive thru. No pictures tonight. Because, let's face it. A meat torpedo kind of looks like a poop on a plate ROFL.

No comments: